Handmade gifts can be more worthwhile

Those in poverty often have countless problems to worry about, like simply making ends meet. At times, the last thing on their mind is making art or crafting a gift. However, as I grow older, my experiences suggest that one can put art into anything they do.

Many impoverished Americans have resources available to them due to the technological advancements of our time. They may have access to internet, a local library or other support networks such as community organizations like churches.

One should not belittle the stress poverty inflicts, but in 2017 there are multiple ways to create things for free. Money cannot buy happiness, yet in many ways art can bring happiness: for free!

A lack of money can stop someone from achieving some goals, but one should not limit themselves to goals that have a monetary cost. Linchpin, by Seth Godin, defines how broad the concept of art is by saying,

“Art isn’t only a painting. Art is anything that’s creative, passionate, and personal”  

(Godin 83).

If art is such a broad concept, then those in poverty can utilize whatever they may have to make something beautiful. The gift of art can enrich anyone’s life, in my opinion, even if it’s a small impact.

Linchpin provides examples as to why poverty does not equate to destituteness due to the realization that anyone can become an artist, have cheap access to technology and the fact that artistry is truly fulfilling and may be what releases one from the grips of poverty.  

The Christmas season can prompt many people who are not well-off to feel obligated to present their friends or family with gifts. Rather than spending money on materialistic gifts, consider giving someone the gift of art. There is no shame in not being able to afford a gift, and a handcrafted gift is much more wholesome than a store-bought gift.

A handmade gift doesn’t even have to be of prodigious quality to be considered worthwhile. When someone you love gives you a handmade gift, more often than not, we are thinking about the time they put into creating it.

I’ve found myself scrambling for gift ideas at times – and I’ve even been embarrassed when handing my friends a gift I made because I was just too broke to buy one. But as I get older, I realize the sentiment behind these handmade gifts.

When I look around my room, there are probably dozens of pieces of clothes and other random items that were gifted to me, but the ones I truly remember are those people took the time to personalize with my personality in mind.