The best games of the year

Super_Mario_Odyssey_(artwork).jpg
Super_Mario_Odyssey_(artwork).jpg

2017 was the best year for video games I personally have experienced, with so many amazing games releasing this year. It was darn near impossible to narrow it down to only ten games. Before starting the list, which will go from ten to 1, a couple honorable mentions are “Cuphead” and the downloadable content for “Shovel Knight,” titled “Spector of Torment.” These two games didn’t make the list, but I thought they were good enough to be worth mentioning. Now, onto the list.

Starting off the list is “What Remains of Edith Finch.” It is a “walking simulator,” which will push some players away, but is one of the better in the genre. The focus of the game is the main character traversing her old home and learning about the lives of her family. The player ends up controlling an aspect of each of these family members, and there are a couple in particular which are legitimately amazing. I loved learning the story of each member and the family in general.

”Horizon: Zero Dawn” has two amazing things: graphics and story. It is the best looking console game I’ve ever played, and is completely worth playing just for the graphics. However, the story is also surprisingly deep and highly interesting. The world of the game is post-apocalyptic, and the way the game handles society dying off made me want to keep playing, just so I could learn even more about the world in the game.

“Uncharted: The Lost Legacy” is the best of the Uncharted franchise, and the competition isn’t close. I loved the chemistry between Chloe and Nadine, the two main characters in the game, and the inclusion of two women as main characters is a breath of fresh air. I also loved the shorter length of the game. The Uncharted games have always felt a couple hours too long, and this one changed that up.

“Night in the Woods” is a game about life. The main character, Mae, has returned home after not being able to go through college. Even though the characters are all animals, this game felt the most real of any of the games on this list. I really liked Mae’s story, and it resonated with me. I liked the music of the game as well. It was very catchy, and different from a lot of some other games’ soundtracks.

“Nier: Automata” has one of the best soundtracks of the year, and I really enjoyed the story as well. The game is very long, having multiple endings to play through, and I wanted to finish every single one just to see the music that might be at the end of each scene. The story is great too, and it was fun to see the way the story ended up going.

“Xenoblade Chronicles 2” is about the music and the exploration. Exploring the world of Alrest is great, and never gets old. Each part of the world felt completely different from each other, which led me to love each area even more. The music helped the exploration, as I wanted to keep listening to the soundtrack. The story is pretty ridiculous and made me laugh a lot, but it also made me want to continue going forward in the game.

“Assassin’s Creed: Origins” is all about the game’s people. There are so many things to do for people, due to Bayek, the main character, being a Medjay, which is basically a cop in ancient Egypt. I loved doing the side quests. It was fun to help everyone fix their problems and have a better life. The game is also gorgeous, and very good at making the player feel immersed in the ancient Egyptian world. It is one of the better crafted worlds that video games have seen this year, and I’m really glad I tried playing another Assassin’s Creed game.

“Monument Valley 2” is a puzzle game for mobile devices. This means that almost everyone can play it, and I think it is amazing. The game’s puzzles are based around trying to get your character through areas that look like M.C. Escher drawings. Players have to fix the perspective of each of the areas to get the character to the end, and I loved it. The game also has a minimalistic style and uses a lot of different colors, so each area looks different. It is only $5. If you like anything to do with puzzles, this is the game for you.

“Super Mario Odyssey” is a game that is fun to play. At its core, that is why it is so amazing. Just moving Mario around the world is fun. I loved exploring the game’s areas and seeing what they had to offer. I also liked the ability to take control of the enemies, which was a lot of fun, too. Being able to control a Goomba or Cheep Cheep was so different from what happens in a normal Mario game.

“The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild” is all about freedom. As soon as the game starts, players can go wherever they want. It is completely open-world. There are no barriers to what the player can do. Do you want to immediately go and face the final boss? Players can do that. The freedom to do anything is what I love so much about the game. The world is huge and beautiful and has so much to offer the player in terms of nostalgia and interesting quests to find. I loved everything about the game, and it was the perfect game to start off the Nintendo Switch.