University class helps food pantry through can-goods donations

The University class Leadership BG has the number 2,010 on their minds.

The number 2,010 marks the donation goal the class hopes to reach by the University’s spring football game on April 16, 2010 for the Cans of Caring BG fundraiser. The group is relying on donations from students and community members, with proceeds and donations going to the Christian Food Pantry in Bowling Green.

The student group will receive help from Meijer with donated collection boxes for the fundraiser.

“Things like this — people donating — is what really helps,” said Shirley Woessner, director of the BG Christian Food Pantry. “We just had the HeeBeeBGs donate a ton of food too.”

The BG Leadership students began collecting food on April 10 with the slogan “Stamp Out Hunger.”

Each year, the Leadership BG class conducts a project that will give back to the community, Earlene Kilpatrick, executive director of the BG Chamber of Commerce said. The Chamber of Commerce has been overseeing the projects of Leadership BG since it first started in 1993.

This is the first time the class has taken up this massive of a food collection project, Kilpatrick said. Students have been working to organize the Cans of Caring BG project for the past two-to-three months.

“There is a lot of behind the scenes correspondence that goes on since the class only meets once a month,” Kilpatrick said. “This project will help to provide a lot more recognition for the Leadership BG program.”

Cans of Caring will be accepting donations such as canned goods, toiletries, dry boxed food, condiments, fruit juices and powdered drink mixes at 20 different locations including the Union, the BG Fire Department and Fifth Third Bank. Private donations can also be made to the BG Christian Food Pantry, P.O. Box 84.

Information is also available at www.cansofcaringbg.info.

Locations Where People Can Donate:

Bowling Green Fire Department, 552 E. Court St., 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.Bowling Green Fire Department, 1060 Pearl St., 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.Fifth Third Bank, 275 S. Main St., 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.Fifth Third Bank, 1232 N. Main St., 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.Sebo Center Lobby, 1610 Stadium Drive, BGSU, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.BG Lincoln-Mercury-Jeep, 1079 N. Main St., 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.BG Manor, 1021 W. Poe Road, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.Wood County Courthouse, 1 Courthouse Square, 8:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.Kenwood School, 710 Kenwood Drive, 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.Wood County Health Department, 1840 E. Gypsy Lane Road, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.Wood Lane, 1921 E. Gypsy Lane Road, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.Bowling Green High School, 530 W. Poe Road, 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.Dayspring Church, 17360 N. Dixie Highway, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.BG Covenant Church, 1165 Haskins Road, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.BG Chamber of Commerce, 163 N. Main St., 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.City of Bowling Green Water Pollution Control, 901 N. Dunbridge Road, 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.Wood County Sheriff’s Office, 1960 E. Gypsy Lane, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.Moore Musical Arts Box Office (Lobby) at BGSU, Noon to 6 p.m.-Student Services at Conklin at BGSU, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.