Protesters unite at Tea Party

Get interested, get informed and get involved, regardless of political position.

Scott Allegrini, founder of the Children of Liberty, delivered this message to students at Saturday’s Tea Party rally in the Union Oval.

The College Republicans co-hosted a Tea Party to protest what they called irresponsible spending in all levels of government; student activist group FREEDOM held a counter rally.

The Tea Party got their message out through guest speakers and a sound system. FREEDOM used signs, chants and drums. Both sides were there to be heard.

“I’m ecstatic we had people come out and voice their opinion who disagree with us,” Allegrini said. “The Tea Party movement is about freedom, and I’m certainly glad to see them practicing their First Amendment rights.”

Allegrini said it was exciting to see 200 to 300 people on both sides take interest in where their tax dollars are going.

“Politics are important whether you’re 20 or 40,” Allegrini said. “You need to educate yourself and form your own opinions. Don’t let your professors tell you what you should think.”

Jake Richman, FREEDOM member and co-organizer of the counter rally, practices what Allegrini preaches but falls on the opposite side of the argument.

“We came out because we see a lot lacking in the Tea Party argument,” Richman said. “There’s a lot of misinformation, and I think their policies are moving on regressionary, where we should be moving forward instead of back.”

Richman also pointed out that FREEDOM had more students on its side of the oval, with more adults on the Tea Party’s side.

“I think it shows that the student voice is minimal in the Tea Party movement,” Richman said. “The younger generation is looking to move forward, while the older generation wants to fall back to the way things used to be.”

Conor Kendrick, chairman of the College Republicans, pointed out while many adults attended the rally, students put on the rally and they are involved in the Tea Party.

However, Kendrick was glad students and adults showed up to the event regardless of their side. Kendrick reverted back to Allegrini’s involvement message but was a little more blunt with his words.

“This might sound bad, but if you’re going to go vote, get informed,” Kendrick said. “If you don’t know what you are doing, you shouldn’t vote.”

With that message in mind, Kendrick and the Tea Party welcomed the FREEDOM rally, and both sides are planning a more formal debate in the near future. One had been scheduled for Saturday, but both sides agreed the debate would be more effective in a different setting than its own event.

The willingness to work with each other in such a heated setting impressed many who attended the event, including leaders on both sides.

“It’s unfortunate that we weren’t able to walk over and shake hands today,” Richman said. “But it’s been very civil, and both sides have been great to each other.”