USG stays neutral on faculty unionization

The highly controversial resolution stating that Undergraduate Student Government would stay neutral on the stance of the possible faculty union was approved last night, but not with flying colors.

The resolution, written by Off-Campus Senator Tim Gribble, was approved last night with 16 supportive votes, 15 votes against it and one abstention. The vote was originally tied with 15 supports, 15 against and two abstentions, leaving the final decision of the vote up to Speaker Leo Almeida, until Senator Trevor Gilmore, who was one of the abstained, changed his vote before Almeida announced his decision.

The resolution states USG will not choose a stance on the unionization process of faculty, but plans to have “no less of a role in shared governance than any one constituency group” when and if the process does occur.

The form was not agreed on without some tense debate, sparked by many guest speakers.

Bob Sebo, chair of the university board of trustees, stood in front of the senate first, applauding the efforts of USG to not take a stand in a fight that did not concern them.

“Choosing to take a side on a debate … shows a degree of restraint and thoughtfulness,” said Sebo.

He said he agreed with President Carol Cartwright’s comments, saying a collective bargaining process would not allow the University to achieve some of its goals.

He concluded by praising USG’s progress, but did not offer time to answer specific questions from the members, saying some situations are being dealt with by the administration and he wasn’t there to talk about the pros and cons of the unionization process.

Provost Ken Borland then took to the podium to share his view of the unionization process.

The work the University does today will shape the progress of the future, he said, adding the University is currently doing good work and should continue.

“Let’s keep this our university,” he said. “Every faculty member should be treated the same way.”

As the guest speakers finished, different students shared their view on the unionization process and USG’s decision on the process.

Zach Tarvin, after sending an e-mail to the USG office this week, spoke on his disapproval, asking USG to reconsider their stance.

“The fact remains that you are here to provide a voice to the students,” Tarvin said. He said the desicion to stay neutral was “underscoring the feelings of resentment that students … have towards USG.”

He also brought attention to the faculty, saying that the neutral resolution relates to a slap across their face. He urged USG to continue doing nothing if they value lower tuition than quality professors.

Tarvin received a standing ovation by a number of students as he concluded his speech.

Both Jacob Moore and Steve Currie also gave their disapproving opinion.

Moore addressed the analogies given by President Sundeep Mutgi and Vice President Kevin Basch, calling them both wrong. To Mutgi, who referred to the unionization process being like giving the faculty a gun, Moore said there is indeed a hypothetical gun that has aready shot down the professors. To Basch, who said the ordeal is like a parent’s divorce, Moore said this “divorce” is needed because it’s more like an abusive relationship.

Currie made mention of the fact that Mutgi and Basch are supporting a resolution to stay neutral, while their comments are clearly voicing their opinions against a unionization process.

As the time to vote on the resolution approached, some final opinions of some of the senators were shared.

“The administration brought this upon themselves,” Wells said. “I don’t like that we’re staying neutral.”

Wells said while some professors are contemplating leaving the University for better benefits, construction on new buildings continues to happen on campus, saying “buildings never taught me a damn thing.”

“Don’t put it forward that we’re just neutral,” Mutgi said. “If we’re kept out of the process, we’re going to raise hell.”

Mugti said he thinks it is good that USG didn’t all vote the same way, showing they have various opinions on the issue.

“We want to move forward in the best possible light for the students,” Mutgi said.