Board of Trustees begins search for new University president

%26%23160%3B

The Board of Trustees have begun considering applicants for the next University President.

The firm responsible for the search for Carol Cartwright’s replacement, Heidrick & Struggles, has been working for a couple months now.

A forum was held in September where faculty and staff voiced their concerns. They met to discuss the most important qualities they look for in a new president.

Undergraduate Student Government Arts and Sciences Senator junior Emily Ancinec is the official representative for USG who offers a helping hand in the decision process.

“It’s just like any search conducted at the University,” Ancinec said.

Ancinec explained the process of finding the next University president.

First, a search firm files through applicants, which leads to interviews of eligible candidates. The committee then gives their suggested names to the Board of Trustees, who then has the final say in filling the position.

Cartwright will be retiring in June 2011, after she was hired in 2008 as an interim president. The initial screening of applicants started Nov. 1 and it will take place until the position is filled, according to the University Board of Trustees website.

At this time, many are concerned with putting control of the University in the right hands, especially with the growing freshman class and the many different construction projects happening on campus.

USG President Kevin Basch said he thinks it’s important for students to follow the news of the University’s search for the person taking Cartwright’s spot.

“Bowling Green is going through a new process,” Basch said, commenting on the new buildings currently under construction and the “revamping curriculum.”

Basch said the new president will be coming to the University at a very “unique time” and they will have “pretty big shoes to fill,” complimenting the job that Cartwright has done during her years at the University.

“[A new president] will bring with themselves a new personality … a new way of dealing with things,” Basch said.