Spring enrollment figures down, but look to pick up in the fall

Total enrollment at the University is down from last year, but new enrollment tactics are in place for future years.

The student headcount this spring semester dropped by 148 from last January, and the total enrollment on campus is down 206 students from this time last year.

But almost 93 percent of freshmen from fall 2009 returned this spring, which is a 1.3 percent increase compared to last January.

Albert Colom, the vice president for enrollment, said the drop in retention from fall to spring was not unexpected.

“We’re slightly down in the spring, [but] we’re not surprised by that,” he said.

Also, the number of new students, including freshman and transfer students, and the number of full-time students has increased from this time last year.

Colom said enrollment in online courses has increased as well.

In addition to increases from last year, Colom said some early indicators of enrollment for fall 2010 show an increase in students.

More students are visiting the campus and applying, and more off-campus enrollment programs have taken place.

“We’re visiting more high schools,” Colom said. “We’re more than doubling on-campus programs.”

More students have also submitted their on-campus housing payments already. So far, 660 payments have been received, while last year that number wasn’t reached until Feb. 27.

Lisa Cesarini, the interim assistant vice president for enrollment, said last year they didn’t accept housing payments until the end of February. This year they began accepting payments on Nov. 30.

With more students learning about the status of their applications and financial aid earlier, Colom said more students are making their decisions earlier as well.

“We’ve streamlined a lot of procedures,” he said. “We’re processing admission decisions faster, and that helps us be competitive.”

The number of students applying to the University is up 29 percent from last January, and the number of students admitted to the University so far is up 28 percent from last year.

The number of applications from minority students has also increased. Dave Kielmeyer, senior director of marketing and communications, said University President Carol Cartwright was beginning a new initiative to focus more on diversity on campus.

But overall, Colom said these enrollment numbers show recruitment strategies are working, though it will still take time to see the end result.

“The best recruitment is word of mouth,” he said, but “the first glimpses are beginning to pay off. It’s a good picture.”