Let’s all strive to be better this upcoming semester

Here we are, back in Bowling Green for the final haul.

For most of you, spring semester is a chance to build on (or completely remodel) your studying habits or outlook in general. Second semester is for second chances, to maybe attend a large lecture class you would have neglected in the past or make an effort to actually turn in homework on time.

For me, it’s one last semester to sculpt my grade point average, sample the local restaurants, meet new faces and say goodbye to those people I’ve become close with and grown to rely on the past four years. Like some seniors, I have mixed feelings about graduating in May and the senioritis I acquired well before my senior year is kicking into high gear.

But unlike most other seniors, I’ve had the chance to be a part of an organization truly vested in the interests students care about.

The BG News is taking advantage of its second chance as well. We served our readers in the fall and are striving to improve and build upon the public service that brings students relevant news, highlights some of the University and community’s finest and also provides the blotter.

And although readers may only stumble upon an article on their way to find the crossword puzzle or sudoku, our mission remains to publish the best news daily. On top of the traditional print editions, The BG News is reaching out to students through our Web site (bgviews.com), Twitter and Facebook pages.

We take our jobs seriously and want to hear from you. How many of you sent in a story idea last semester? How many readers contributed their own brief rants anonymously to our new Falcon Screech section in Forum? How many people let their views show through opinion pieces and letters to the editor?

We are here for you, the reader.

During your chance for a new start spring semester, consider being more vocal through your daily, independent college newspaper. Students have a great chance of getting their voices heard through a newspaper tailored specifically to them.

So give spring 2010 all the effort you’ve got left to give, because that’s what The BG News intends on doing.