University to implement master plan renovations

Many of the campus changes outlined in the University master plan are scheduled to begin this year and finish next year.

Two sites have been chosen for two new residence halls. The site north of Offenhauer Towers is slated to hold a suite-style hall primarily geared toward upper-classmen. A second residence hall will be in the space occupied by Rodgers Quadrangle and the Phi Kappa Tau and Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity houses. That residence hall will be double rooms and primarily geared toward freshmen.

Michael Griffel, the director of residence life, said the focus on both younger and older students was planned.

“It’s to attract students to the University and it’s to retain students at the University,” Griffel said. “It’s very intentional that we’re focusing on freshmen and sophomores.”

The two fraternities who had to move out of their houses are moving into Founders Hall and Unit G in the Conklin Quadrangle. Members also had the option to move off campus.

Griffel said the University is working to find the fraternity members permanent housing.

“Fraternities are much more than houses and buildings, but the right building can foster a strong community,” he said.

The two fraternities held closing ceremonies for their houses last Saturday and demolition of the houses and Rodgers Quad is scheduled for February, said Steve Krakoff, associate vice president of Capital Planning and Design.

The target completion date for the two new residence halls is fall 2011.

Krakoff said in addition to the residence halls, upgrades to dining facilities on campus will begin.

One of the main focuses is Commons Dining, in McDonald Hall. Krakoff said the dining hall in McDonald will be renovated and moved to the southwest corner. Demolition of the western leg of McDonald may happen this summer, but the schedule hasn’t been finalized. Krakoff said the goal was to finish the dining renovations on the same 2011 timeline as the two new residence halls.

Krakoff said once construction for these changes is underway, the next step of the master plan is to look at reconfiguring academic space.

“Academic space is right at the top of the list of things we need to look at,” he said. “That is every bit as important as residence life and dining services.”

In addition to academic space, parking and campus entrances will be investigated. Krakoff said reviews will be conducted on how the overall campus is laid out.

“[It’s important] those aspects of campus that need improvement be identified,” he said.

Joe Oravecz, the vice president of Student Affairs, said while the changes on campus are planned to occur relatively quickly, the construction will ultimately benefit students.

“We have a window of opportunity for an aggressive construction phase,” Oravecz said. “I know whenever there’s construction on campuses, it gives a sense of ‘new things are coming.'”