Falcon Finale to ‘take over’ the Union

falcon finale 5/6

As the spring semester begins to wrap up, the University Activities Organization is holding its annual “Falcon Finale” as a last send-off to students and staff.

Taking place 7-11 p.m. May 8, the free event consists of various activities both in and around the Bowen-Thompson Student Union for what UAO Organizer Estee Miller calls a “takeover” of the building.

“It’s really just an end-of-the-year celebration for all our Falcons. … It’s a lot of different events thrown into one big event,” Miller said.

On social media, UAO has gradually revealed the activities occurring during the night, which include:

• Inflatables at the Oval and Multipurpose Room.

• Caricature artists in Room 308.

• An outdoor bungee run, obstacle course and mechanical bull.

• A mystery craft room, with new crafts every hour, limited to the first 100 participants.

• Karaoke from 7-9 p.m. in the theater.

• Drag Bingo from 9-11 p.m. in the theater.

• Video games in Room 207.

In addition, there will be a fireworks show outside the BTSU at 9:30 p.m., followed by a live musical performance from Next Town Down, a Los Angeles-based R&B group, at 10 p.m. in the Union Oval. Then, at 11 p.m., President Rodney Rogers will be in the Ballroom for “Pancakes with the Prez” to end the night.

This will be Falcon Finale’s second consecutive year, and according to Miller, it has required extensive planning ahead of time.

“(UAO) has been preparing this event since the beginning of the semester and even started some conversations at the end of last semester about what our vision was for the event,” she said. “Getting contracts for the inflatables and the live entertainment; all that stuff has to be done like three months out.”

For Miller, the success of the event places strong reliance on both members and volunteers within UAO.

“It’s such a big event; each person in UAO has a different role and oversees a different area. … It really takes all of UAO to make the event possible,” she said.

Overall, the organization hopes the event will serve as a memorable parting for BGSU students.

“We really just want to create an atmosphere where students can come and have fun, feel welcome and just create memories with their friends,” Miller said. “It is during dead week and stressful times, so (it’s) a little stress reliever to come out and just have fun.”

Miller also hopes the weather will stay clear. At last year’s Falcon Finale, which had an audience of approximately 600 people, precipitation was a recurring challenge.

“(Last year), it was all outside and then it rained, which threw us back,” she said. “But this year, we’re definitely more prepared for that.”

For students and community members attending the event, there are some precautions to keep in mind:

• All participants must check into the event at entrances of the BTSU.

• Students will need to fill out a waiver and receive a wristband to participate in any of the activities.

• Due to the fireworks display, Lot 7 behind the Union, as well as parts of Thurstin Avenue and North College Drive, will be closed.

Any questions regarding Falcon Finale can be addressed to UAO at [email protected].