Events planned for siblings weekend

The annual Sibs ‘N Kids weekend will take place during the weekend of March 23-25. Sibs ‘N Kids weekend is an opportunity for students’ siblings and families to visit them and participate in a variety of activities.

Siblings’ weekend is a long held tradition at the University and has been going on for more than 10 years. The goal of the weekend is to allow students to show off the school to their families and also encourage the formation of positive connections and memories with the University.

“It’s an opportunity to really allow siblings and family members to get exposed to what University life is like,” said Leah Howell, assistant dean of students for the Office of Campus Activities.

The weekend begins on Friday evening and includes activities and events for siblings of all ages. All of the activities are related to the superhero theme of the weekend. The theme was chosen to reflect the relationship between older and younger brothers and sisters.

“Oftentimes we look to our older siblings as superheroes,” Howell said. Some of the highlights from Friday evening’s schedule include Cirque de Hero, which is a showcase by the circus arts club; a performance by Voices at BGSU; two movie showings; laser tag and an opportunity for teenage siblings to paint the infamous rock.

Saturday’s agenda has a clinic hosted by the cheer and dance teams, a presentation on the history of comic books at Jerome Library, a carnival and an athlete meet-and- greet. Sunday includes an Easter egg hunt in the Greek village and ice skating at Slater Family Ice Arena.

This year’s siblings weekend also has a few adult-only events for parents who are visiting. These events are donuts with the dean of students, a presentation called “Honoring the Real Superheroes” and a tour of the University’s athletic facilities. This year the event includes activities sponsored by more organizations than ever.

“It truly is a campus-wide collaborative event,” Howell said. Over 15 organizations and departments are hosting activities throughout the weekend. There is no charge for the weekend but participants have the option to purchase a t-shirt for $5. Online registration is open until Friday, March 23, and guests are instructed to sign in at the Bowen-Thompson Student Union when they arrive.