Online ordering makes grocery shopping quick

Produce+1
Produce 1

Turn a two-hour shopping trip at the grocery store into five minutes.

Online ordering makes grocery shopping quick.

ClickList, a Kroger app that started May 2017, is the latest addition to the local online grocery shopping market.

“We get a lot of new shoppers that we’ve taken from our competitors that have straight up told us just for the simple fact that they don’t have to go in the store shopping. They like that,” said Branden Tomes, team leader for ClickList at the Bowling Green Kroger.

Other grocery stores in BG include Walmart and Meijer. Walmart has curbside assistants, but the service is only offered locally in Perrysburg. Meijer offers a service called Shipt. For an annual membership fee of $99, customers can order at Shipt.com/Meijer and the products are delivered to their home.

[[inline_image_identifier 13429942acf076cf003ea4899651a604.jpg]]

ClickList charges $4.95 per order after the first three orders, which are free.

Senior Tasha Purcell said she doesn’t care about the fee.

“I’m really pressed for time with being a nursing student and having clinicals. So, it makes it much easier on time,” Purcell said.

Faculty member Julie Hagenbuch loves the convenience, especially during the school year.

“$4.95 is a bargain,” Hagenbuch said. “I have the app running on my computer, so when we run out of an item my kids can click it.”

[[inline_image_identifier dbc738323cb00c4c886b4abff265e637.jpg]]

ClickList customers pick up their order right from their car. They can pay online, or employees have portable check out.

Kroger has hired 25 new staff members to help with ClickList orders and hopes to grow the program.

“We get 20-25 new customers on average based off of competitors,” Tomes said.

Despite the convenience, some customers would rather shop in the store.

“I don’t use ClickList because I like to pick my own produce, and I like to take my time and get everything I need, instead of clicking on an app where I can buy unnecessary things,” Kayla Madsen, a senior nursing major, said.

Tomes said some people prefer to choose their actual vegetables and expirations dates, so they would rather come into the store themselves instead of having someone else pick out produce for them.

ClickList and other online grocery services may just be getting started in Bowling Green, but economics experts project the revenue nationwide will double by 2021.

Here are the steps:

 Order online using the Kroger ClickList app.

 Pick a time when you want to pick up your order.

 Go to the Kroger store and call the number provided to tell them you have arrived.

 You pull up to the designated area and workers come and load up your order.