What it’s like being an introvert in college

Shiva+Bhusal
Kevin Mensah
Shiva Bhusal

As an introvert, I don’t feel comfortable attending parties. I respect other people’s choices when they organize parties and send invitations. I don’t go because I feel comfortable, but because of respect and intimacy with the host.

I don’t like to disrespect or hurt someone with my personal choices or opinions. Life is not always about doing what we enjoy. Sometimes, it is also about doing things that make others happy.

Like many other introverts, sometimes I pretend to be an extrovert just to make my friends happy. Apart from the times when I am pretending to be an extrovert, I always enjoy staying in a quiet room, reading books, listening to good music or writing computer programs. I enjoy my work programming, writing and reading more than anything else.

Partying is like getting involved in something I don’t enjoy much. I actually feel depressed and tired if I spend several hours partying. I regret the time I spent in a meaningless pursuit.

Just like some other introverts, I am a pessimist, but not of the depressive kind. My pessimism is also reflected in my process of writing. Whenever I sit down and think of a topic to write, the whole idea of the article seems like a tall mountain I should climb. Climbing the mountain seems impossible to me but with each step, I feel less pessimistic.

I feel I am more honest while writing than when I am talking with people in person. When I am having conversations with people, I may worry about what they are thinking about me. Yet, when I am writing, I am all alone. This helps me express myself better. I prefer writing a long letter to my girlfriend than having a video chat with her.

Researchers predict that somewhere between 15 to 50 percent of the population comprises of introverts. This number is debatable since some of the introverts pretend to be extroverts in special social situations. So, since the number of introverts is comparatively less, they may feel that they are living in a world of extroverts.

They may seem unsocial. In reality, they are not. They love people and like to be around them. They are also extremely helpful if someone is really in trouble. Introverts simply don’t enjoy extravagant things like parties. They are extremely social, but they are equally conscious about their private space.

As an introvert, it is easy to get depressed. It is also easy to feel strange about oneself. I often wondered what was wrong with me. These days, I have realized, every person has their own type of personality, and they should be proud of that.

So, I am not that much worried about being an “introvert.” I also don’t feel that being an “introvert” is being “unsocial.” It feels good realizing this sort of personality suits someone who wants to become a programmer and writer.