“Shadow of the Colossus” still a masterpiece 13 years later

shadow of the colossus.png

“Shadow of the Colossus,” released in 2005 was one of the first video games to begin to try to be considered a form of art.

These types of games were not popularized until the release of “Flower” and “Journey.” They’ve gained popularity “Shadow of the Colossus” has been fully remade for the PlayStation 4. The setting of the game is gorgeous thanks to the updated visuals and the music is unchanged. The bosses in the game are some of the best I’ve played, most of them puzzles all by themselves.

The setting of the game is great. I love the way the game places the player where they are all alone. It is just the player, and the multitude of bosses. There are a few other species of animals, but there are no notable people or enemies to interact with other than the bosses. This aloneness the player feels makes the trek to each boss even better, because it makes the player think about what they are about to do, and also collect their thoughts before the next boss.

The loneliness is complimented by the outstanding soundtrack the game has. Every track is perfect for the gamer’s situation. There are a couple of different tracks for the bosses, and they are great. One track in particular is amazing, and one of my favorite boss themes ever. I’ll let you play the game to find out which one I’m talking about.

The bosses are the crux of the game and every single one is a puzzle all by itself. Each boss has two aspects to them; how to climb onto them and then how to attack them while on top. I liked the bosses in the game because they all felt unique and the game has the perfect number of bosses. There aren’t too many to make the player tired of the game, but there are enough for the player to grasp the concepts of the game.

The only problem I had with the game is the controls are a bit finicky and sometimes it was a bit difficult to control the horse. I didn’t like the way the game had the horse mechanic work but it is a minor complaint about an overall fantastic game.

“Shadow of the Colossus” released 13 years ago, and was considered a masterpiece then. The years have been kind to the game, and I am glad to say it is still as amazing a game as it was when it released for the first time.