Eggs perfect companion for ‘Twilight’

“Edward stood in front of the stainless steel stove, sliding an omelet onto the light blue plate waiting on the counter. The scent of the food overwhelmed me. I felt like I could eat the plate and the frying pan, too; my stomach snarled.”

In preparation for Friday’s midnight showing of “The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 1,” I re-read Stephenie Meyer’s last installment of “The Twilight Saga,” and I immediately started salivating after finishing this passage.

The incredible edible egg is a symbol of life and fertility. Its shell is a reminder to care for what’s fragile.

I’m not surprised Bella craved eggs at the beginning of her pregnancy, but even more so I’m not surprised to find food as a driving metaphor in yet another one of my obsessions – Twilight.

While most readers imagine themselves as Edward’s lover, when I’m staring off into space waiting for the last two minutes of casserole to finish baking, I imagine myself teaching Edward how to cook.

Luckily in “Breaking Dawn,” Edward had Food Television to help him figure out how to cook an omelet for Bella.

But it’s more fun to imagine that I gave Edward a few cooking lessons about the egg’s versatility before his much anticipated honeymoon.

During our cooking classes, I show Edward how to poach an egg, throw together a veggie quiche, whip up an aioli, beat egg whites into a meringue and create rich custards. In my daydreams, I teach Edward techniques that would blow Bella away and show her there’s more to eggs than sunny-side up.

By far, though, my favorite egg recipe that’s worthy of celebrating the epic finale of “The Twilight Saga” is the deviled egg. The trick to centering the yolks for a beautiful presentation is to lay the carton of eggs on its side for 12 hours before hard-boiling. Of course, I would show Edward this, and we would discuss the best toppings, such as bacon and chives, dill and caviar or homemade chili powder and cilantro.

To commemorate the premiere of “The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 1,” all of us Twi-hards should cook eggs. Consider making a frittata or soufflé before heading out to the theater. Learn how at my online cooking show “Spatula” at http://connotationpress.com/from-plate-to-palate/1113-spatula-episode-02.