Movie Review: “The Muppets”

Grade: A

It’s time to meet the Muppets in their triumphant return to the silver screen.

The Muppets have disbanded, and their once great studio is threatened to be demolished by the evil oil baron Tex Richman (Chris Cooper). But a longtime Muppet fan named Walter, his brother Gary (Jason Segel) and Gary’s girlfriend Mary (Amy Adams) can’t let that happen. So they seek out the one “person” they know can help: the one and only Kermit the Frog.

Kermit, with the help of his new friends, must get the old gang back together and put on one final Muppet Telethon to raise ten million dollars and save the Muppet Studios.

“The Muppets” is a great film that stays true to what made them lovable so many years ago. While they use some familiar jokes, it’s the music (supervised by Flight of the Conchords member Bret McKenzie) and guest stars that make the film current and extremely funny.

Aside from funny guest stars and music, it’s the acting that takes center stage in this film, and I’m not talking about Jason Segel or Amy Adams. Instead the performances by the puppeteers were what made the movie so easy and fun to watch. They gave all the characters from Kermit to the Swedish Chef a life of their own, so much so that I often forgot I was watching a movie completely centralized around puppets.

It’s performances like those that enable the audience to truly care about the characters and their interactions with each other.

“The Muppets” is a fantastic film that breathes new life into the Muppet franchise and will hopefully spur Disney to produce more feature length films.

So what are you’re thoughts on the new Muppet movie?

Leave me your comments in the comments section below.