• They Both Die at the End ā€“ General Review
    Summer break is the perfect opportunity to get back into reading. Adam Silveraā€™s (2017) novel, They Both Die at the End, can serve as a stepping stone into the realm of reading. The pace is fast, action-packed, and develops loveable characters. Also,Ā Silvera switches point of view each chapter where narration mainly focuses on the protagonists, […]
  • My Favorite Book ā€“ Freshwater
    If thereā€™s one book that I believe everyone should read once in their life, itā€™s my favorite book ā€“ Freshwater by Akwaeke Emezi. From my course, Queer Literature under Dr. Bill Albertini, I discovered Emeziā€™s Freshwater (2018). Once more, my course, Creative Writing Thesis Workshop under Professor Amorak Huey, was instructed to present our favorite […]

In the face of change, time to reminisce

It’s a little surreal to be saying goodbye to both West Hall and my position as editor-in-chief this week, knowing that I’ll be back next year to complete my senior year of college.

I’m happy to not be leaving behind the world of student media just yet, especially because of the changes happening as the School of Media and Communication moves to its new home. Next year, BGSU’s student media will be more focused on collaborative multimedia content, and in my new position next fall I’ll be at the forefront of ushering in this transition. We’ll be able to do all this in a new newsroom that brings BGSU’s student media together under one roof.

As excited as I am for these changes and new opportunities, I’ll miss West Hall. I’ve spent a lot of time there over my three years at BGSU, from classes to meetings to shop nights to just hanging out in the newsroom.

West Hall is what started off my college career here at BGSU and I’m a little sad it won’t be there to send me off next year. Meeting with an adviser in the journalism department and touring our current newsroom sold me on BGSU. I made my decision to be a Falcon in one of West’s oddly steep stairwells. Somehow, I think I’ll even miss having to pause to catch my breath at the top of the steps. I might even miss the gross newsroom couch, even though I’m pretty sure it was some kind of health hazard.

The newsroom in 210 West Hall was my haven on campus. Even though a shop night is never quiet and producing a newspaper is anything but peaceful, I love it in there. The newsroom is where I felt my most stressed and my most calm. It’s where connections among BG News staff are forged in the fire of a hectic shop night where everything goes wrong, as sleep, free time and even homework are sacrificed at the altar of journalism. I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

As much as West Hall factors into some of my best memories at BGSU, what really makes those memories great is the people in them. I’m sad to lose those who are graduating or moving on to new things, but so appreciative of what they’ve given to this paper.

For the people who will be back next year, especially Holly Shively, who will do great things next year as editor-in-chief: I can’t wait to start this new adventure with you.

I know the new newsroom will feel like home as soon as I step inside because most of the people who have made BGSU feel like home will be right there with me.

Respond to Annie at