The Hunt to Find At-Home Tests

Chloe S. Kozal | Opinion Writer

Dear Bowling Green State University: Just because you wish COVID-19 didn’t exist, doesn’t mean it doesn’t still impact your community. Like my math exam, I can’t just ignore it and hope it will go away. 

Information posted on BGSU’s COVID-19 website is out-of-date. The site encourages students to get free tests from the government through a program that was suspended in late August. 

The website also claims free COVID-19 tests are available at the BG1 Plus desk in the Bowen-Thompson Student Union, the Jerome Library, the Student Recreation Center and at the front desk of each residence hall on campus. However, when I was exposed to the virus two weeks ago, I found it very difficult to get a test. 

I began at the front desk of my dorm, which houses more than 650 students, but found that the front desk had none. 

I then walked to the library, where large signs posted in front of the doors stated the library was out of masks. 

I finally walked to the BG1 Plus desk, where I received the last COVID-19 test the desk had available. 

Frustratingly enough, the Falcon Health Center also does not provide free at-home tests either. 

I’ve spoken with a number of other students who also have found it extremely difficult to get a test on campus. Many have resorted to going to Walmart or Kroger to get tested. But what is a student with no transportation supposed to do if they need a test and BGSU is unable to provide one to them? 

COVID-19 has not gone away. Last week, two of my professors moved classes to Zoom because of COVID-19 symptoms or exposure. 

BGSU last provided a health report from its chief health and wellness officer during the spring semester. 

With the newest Omicron variant being extremely transmissible and BGSU no longer requiring two shots for students and no boosters, I wonder what the lack of safety measures and reporting at BGSU will mean for our community. 

At the bare minimum, BGSU needs to have tests available and provide weekly reports about positive cases so students, faculty and staff can be in the know and can best care for themselves.