VCT class offers students a chance to work with real clients

VIA media allows student teams to work with clients

A class at BGSU gives freshmen visual communication technology students the opportunity to learn while also gaining experience in the real world.

The Via Media class allows students to work together and collaborate with each other to create a project for clients.

“Students learn how to work with a live client and how to work with some of the challenges that comes with it, like deadline changes. Students learn people skills, something that cannot be taught in a lecture,” professor Jodi Hagg said.

There are two teams, consisting of three to four students and a team leader. Each team has a larger project to work on throughout the semester for different clients.

One team is making a recruitment video for high school students who are looking to major in VCT. The other team is making a promotion video for Grace Imaging.

Grace Imaging is a label company in Toledo. Students traveled to Grace Imaging, Toledo Spirits and Rachel Michael’s Gourmet Popcorn to film for the video.

“Students are responsible for setting up camera equipment, using the cameras, packing them up, shooting footage and so many other important things that are needed to make the video,” junior and team leader Rebekah Zellers said.

Students spend their class time, and some time outside of class, editing their video. Working together, they create a timeline of video clips, and they are in charge of putting it together.

“Students can use these skills they are learning hands-on in the future and are able to put the skills on a future resume for jobs and internships,” Zellers said.

Besides the larger projects, every student works on smaller projects like making a logo, a resume, and letterheads.

“These smaller projects are fillers, but also important for a VCT major,” Hagg said.

The class, which has been around for 20 years, has other benefits then just experience. Students are able to talk with older students about their experience with the VCT program. They automatically have guidance and someone they can ask questions to.

The class is also an easy way to make friends with the people on the teams.

“I enjoy the class because I’ve gotten very close to the people on my team. I never dread going to class, and I always look forward to working on the project with my friends,” freshman Sophie Bodo said.

Freshmen are not the only ones benefiting from this class. Kenny Steinbauer is a senior team leader and a mentor to everyone in the class.

He is the team leader for the team working on the recruitment video, but he oversees everyone and makes sure everything is going smoothly.

The skills Steinbauer gained from being in Via Media are now being used to help keep the projects on track.