Scuba Club brings diving experience to students

The Scuba Diving Club on campus is active and focusing on getting students involved with scuba diving.

The club, headed by President Stephen Seiber, began in 2015.

“The core purpose of this club is to bring scuba diving to younger generations. We want to get the young involved and bring more experience to them,” Seiber said.

The club meets every other Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. in the Student Union Room 208. Ten to 20 students normally come to each meeting.

The meetings consist of member feedback and what they would like to do in the future. Members also talk about upcoming dives and events.

According to the club’s Facebook page, the Scuba Diving Club dives in White Star Quarry. In the quarry, there are sunken ships and other items divers can explore.

It also attends dive shows, including one at Kalahari Resort this past weekend.

The Scuba Diving Club would like to travel somewhere to dive in large bodies of water this spring break.

“Nothing has been planned yet, but it is a work in progress,” Seiber said.

Scuba diving requires a lot of equipment, and the club has various connections in the industry with dive shop owners. They rent their gear from dive shops like The Aqua Hut.

The Aqua Hut is generous with their equipment and their pools. It supplies instructors for diving classes for students to earn diving certificates.

The Scuba Diving Club offers a connection for students to take classes to earn official certificates. The class is once a semester. The next class is during the spring.

If a student is interested in joining The Scuba Diving Club, the next meeting is Nov. 2 at 7:30 p.m. in the Union Room 208. Students can also try out diving in the Student Recreational Center pools before committing to the club and paying the dues.

“It’s a lot of fun, and I hope more people sign up,” Seiber said.