Awards a signal of Greek leadership

Two of the University’s most involved and distinguished Greek students were honored Sunday evening at the Greek Awards Ceremony, held in the Union Ballroom.

Senior David Ruda and junior Fay Coleman were named Outstanding Greek Man and Woman of the Year.

A committee of graduate advisors and administrative staff members chose the awards’ recipients based on service to the Greek community, academic standing, campus and community involvement, character and positive role model status.

The Greek Man of the Year Award was sponsored by the Interfraternity Council, while the Panhellenic Council sponsored the Woman of the Year award.

According to Josh Harraman, graduate assistant for public and external relations in Greek Affairs, Ruda and Coleman are very active both on and off campus, and they find the reward for their efforts in the satisfaction of helping other people.

“They are very committed to what they do, and they believe in what they are involved with,” Harraman said. Coleman is a member of Chi Omega, a social sorority, and serves as President of the Panhellenic Council, which oversees 14 of the University’s sororities.

She serves as secretary of Gamma Sigma Alpha and the Order of Omega, and she is a member of Psi Chi, Golden Key and Rho Lambda.

Additionally, Coleman is an Orientation Leader, and has volunteered for Habitat for Humanity and the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

In February, the psychology major was honored in Chicago with the National Panhellenic Conference Foundation Scholarship Award, for her active involvement in numerous Greek organizations.

Despite her high level of Greek involvement, Coleman said she felt she was less worthy of the award than other Greeks.

“Honestly, I think that there were other people who deserved it more than I do, being only a junior,” Coleman said. “I know other seniors who have accomplished a lot more, and deserve the recognition but I am still honored to be recognized that way.”

Ruda is also very involved on campus and in the community.

The senior is a member of Sigma Phi Epsilon, Order of Omega and Gamma Sigma Alpha.

He also serves as an At-Large Senator of the USG and was the Pink Team Morale Captain for Dance Marathon.

This past year, Ruda said, he has played a big part in revolutionizing the recruitment methods of the Interfraternity Council.

“I would say so far my biggest accomplishment this year was dramatically changing the way IFC recruits,” Ruda said.

He stated that prospective Greeks are now able to tour a fraternity house during summer orientation. Also for orientation, Ruda helped form a group called Go Greek, which handed out information about fraternities and sororities to incoming freshmen.

In the fall, a recruitment picnic was held to give dispense information on Greek life. Additionally, Ruda helped coordinate Greek move-in.

“I’m absolutely honored to be the Greek Man of the Year,” Ruda said. “I think it’s the most distinguished award any woman or man could get within the Greek community — it’s an absolute honor and a privilege, and I appreciate that people think of me like that.”

Ruda has a double major in psychology and sociology, while Coleman is majoring in psychology.

Both students plan to pursue careers in higher education administration.

“I really enjoy working with students that are leaders and students that like to challenge the process and take things to another level,” Ruda said of the career choice. “It’s a great opportunity to work in a field … where you’re a professional yet at the same time you have meetings with students and you have interaction with college students that are going to be the future of tomorrow.”

As far as how Greek involvement has affected her character, Coleman said it has made her more aware of her abilities.

“When I came to this college, I was really shy,” she said. “I think [Greek involvement] has really developed who I am now and made me realize I’m capable of doing things I thought I was never capable of doing.”