Diners diversify

International tastes, sounds and sights filled the Union Grand Ballroom yesterday evening during the University’s International Dinner, organized by the World Student Association.

The dinner, which has existed in some form at the University for about 30 years, included foods from several foreign countries that are represented on campus.

In addition to serving foreign cuisine to hundreds of guests, several international students performed dances, played music and displayed traditional international clothing.

The evening’s events began with a music video tribute to the victims of the December tsunami that struck Indonesia and other Eastern nations.

The video, titled, “Good-bye Tsunami,” was prepared by Vincent Theraisnathan, post doctoral faculty fellow in the Department of Biological Sciences, and his brother, who lives in India. Theraisnathan said the money made through sales of the video will go to Natham Trust, a social service organization.

A parade of flags followed the video. Students from 22 different nations carried in flags from their native countries and placed them in a row at the front of the ballroom.

Karimi Kilemi of Kenya, a graduate student, dressed in a bright orange traditional Kenyan dress, carried her country’s flag. She said the International Dinner and parade of flags help international students remember their home cultures when they are away from home for so long.

“It reminds us where we come from, because we tend to forget about our culture,” Kilemi said.

After flags had been placed, guests had the opportunity to taste a wide variety of traditional foods, which were prepared by cooks at the union under the guidance of international students.

Indian students kicked off the evening’s entertainment with traditional Bhangra dancing. The students danced to a combination of Indian and American music.

Romanian graduate student Nicoleta Laura Cismas of Romania performed next, playing the piano as her slide show of Romanian scenery and traditional crafts was displayed.

A short awards presentation followed.

Next was a fashion show of both traditional and more modern international attire. University students displayed the clothing, some of which was handmade by the students.

Jin Yang, a senior from China, walked in the fashion show, displaying a long, bright red, modern version of the traditional Qi Pao dress.

“The evening is so wonderful and you meet so many friends and new people,” Yang said, adding that she would miss the dinner after four years of involvement.

Performances followed from Canadian and Chinese presenters. Finally, Maria Baranova of Russia displayed, “Russian Soul,” a traditional gypsy dance.

WSA President Arup Chakraborty said he was pleased with the outcome of the dinner.

“We’ve tried our best to exhibit people and let them know about our various cultures … which we have here,” he said.

“I think we did a good job. People really liked our program and they really got some information about the cultural differences here.”

Freshman Sarah Pavell, an American, confirmed Chakraborty’s view of what people gained from the dinner.

“I didn’t know that all these different countries were represented at [Bowling Green],” she said. “It was really cool.”