SICSIC members reveal identities

Two of the University’s most active fans, who have spent the past three years under the disguises of Whoopi Goldberg and Luciano Pavarotti, have revealed their true identities.

Senior members of SICSIC Brady Bourquin, who portrays Pavarotti, and Emily Reeves, who plays Goldberg, were unmasked Saturday at half-time of the women’s basketball game.

As to why he decided to don the mask and coveralls as a member of one of the University’s most school-spirited groups, Bourquin said, “I have a thing for plastic.”

He added, “I’ve known about [SICSIC] since I was real little, so I saw it as the best way I could show how much I care for Bowling Green, how much I enjoy being a part of the University.”

Reeves said she joined SICSIC to give back to the BGSU.

“I just have such a love for BG that I knew I wanted to be a bigger part of the whole,” she said. “It just seemed like something so fun, and BG just gives me so much, I just wanted to give back.”

Over the past three years, Reeves and Bourquin say, they have gotten themselves into interesting sets of circumstances.

“I couldn’t even describe some of the stuff that happens to us,” Bourquin said. “We get ourselves into situations, and we get ourselves out of situations, with a little help sometimes.”

Reeves recalled an incident that occurred a few years ago when a child nearly ruined her anonymity.

“I almost had my mask taken off, not by college students who you would normally expect, but by a little ten year old,” Reeves said. “It was pretty interesting that I had to pretty much run for my life to keep from spoiling this.”

Members of SICSIC, who go behind the mask as sophomores, are supposed to keep their identities secret for the full three years they are in SICSIC.

Over the past three years, Reeves kept her famous comedienne identity a secret from everyone but two roommates, while Bourquin admits by the time he was unmasked, everyone except his boss knew he was posing as the renowned tenor.

“When I started not coming to games, they kind-of figured it out,” Bourquin said. “I was at every game of everything my freshman year. Sophomore year I started not coming to stuff and they figured it out.”

When sophomores join SICSIC they get to pick their own masks that they will wear for the full three years.

“He had a big smile,” Bourquin said, describing why he chose his Pavarotti mask. “I thought that would be a good way to kind-of show me, in a way. I wanted somebody happy and not frightening because in the past, some people have been frightening… I wanted to be as happy as I could.”

“We were looking around for quite a while, and out of the selection they had in the store, I just put it on, and it just felt right,” Reeves said. “It just fit, and I just felt good in [Goldberg’s] character, so I decided to go with that one.”

Reeves and Bourquin say their experience in SICSIC has been better than anything else they have done in college.

“This has been the greatest experience of my college career,” Reeves said. “I love the people. They’re so responsive to you, they make you feel so good, and you know we’re there for a purpose… It’s an unbelievable experience. I could not be luckier, really.”

“I’d like to thank everybody who has smiled and had a good time with us over the past couple of years, because it’s been one of the greatest opportunities I’ve ever had.” Bourquin said. “I’ve had more fun doing this than anything I’ve ever done.”