Exotic Indian traditions revealed

When Anna Breithaupt, a junior, had her nose pierced, she knew nose-piercing was an ancient Indian marriage ritual.

But Breithaupt, vice president of the World Student Association, never imagined the real purpose behind Indian women’s nose jewelry – to relieve menstrual symptoms.

This and other lesser-known facts about Indian culture were revealed during an hour-long Cup of Culture presentation in the Union Multicultural Lounge yesterday evening. The presentation was planned by the World Student Association and the Indian Student Association.

Ambur Maher-Johnson, an American who has never stepped foot in India, led the presentation, which was a blend of a power point presentation and clips from the movie “Monsoon Wedding.”

Maher-Johnson also cooked four Indian dishes for the event, including Indian Rice Pudding, Tandoori Chicken and Samosa, which is potatoes, peas and onions in a fried dough shell.

“To me, India has always been a very different and exotic place,” she said. “I was going to do a project for a class, and I got into it.”

What was a simple extra-credit assignment for her human behavior class, became an in-depth study of Indian culture. Maher-Johnson talked to students from India, and as she gathered more information, her interest in the country grew.

Her presentation began with facts about different Indian festivals, followed by information about clothing and wedding rituals.

“I think that one of the beautiful mysteries of the Indian women is the beautiful clothing that they wear,” she said.

Maher-Johnson explained that the sari, a long, linen garment worn by Indian women, varies widely from region to region in India. She also explained the changing cultural significance of the bindi – the red spot many women apply to their foreheads on a daily basis. Traditionally a symbol of marriage, the bindi has become an acceptable adornment for all women, she said.

She also talked about henna, a decorative dye that women apply to their hands in intricate designs. The dark brown designs, which often depict peacock feathers, hearts and mangoes, are applied to the female relatives of a bride just before her wedding.

A clip from “Monsoon Wedding” showed a group of Indian women with henna designs on their hands.

While the movie is not entirely accurate in its depiction of Indian culture, it is quite close, according to ISA Public Relations Director Vish Sakthivel.

“No movie could completely represent Indian life, but I think it does a pretty good job,” she said.

When Maher-Johnson heard the WSA needed Cup of Culture presenters, she contacted the ISA.

“I thought it would be a great idea to have a non-Indian do the presentation,” said ISA President Birender Anand. “Knowledge is not bound by culture or nationality. Anybody who wishes to learn anything can do so.”

In fact, Maher-Johnson did so much research into the culture of India, she found information even native Indians did not know.

Graduate Student Lakshmi Bhuvanagiri was interested to learn the meaning behind the seven steps that newly-wed couples traditionally take around a fire. One step is a promise that the couple will live together for the rest of their lives, while another means the couple must always respect their family members, especially their elders. Fire, according to Bhuvanagiri, serves as a sacred witness to these seven vows.

“I heard that an American was doing a presentation on India,” he said.

“She exceeded my expectations.”

Maher-Johnson said she plans to visit India some day so she can support her knowledge of India with first-hand experience.

But for now, she said, just being around Indian students and their culture is enough.

“You have the food in you, you have the sounds in you,” she said. “It helps you to be immersed in the culture.”