Voters sign-up

As the Oct. 11 voter registration deadline looms, campus groups are struggling to register voters without the lure of a presidential election.

The College Democrats and College Republicans have been registering voters for the Nov. 8 election since the beginning of the semester, but representatives of both groups said sign-up has been much slower than last year.

College Democrats, who last year registered nearly 2,000 voters, have registered less than 100 voters this year, according to College Democrats President Maria Khoury.

However, she said, more students are registering this year than in years prior to the 2004 Presidential election.

“The year before [the presidential election], we were only able to register 25 to 30 people that entire year,” Khoury said. “I think compared to past years we have done very well.”

College Republicans President, Jim Wasil, who has seen a similar registration trend, predicts an increase in voter registration as the deadline approaches.

“I think as we get closer to the elections and the yard signs start going up, people are going to start feeling more civically motivated to get involved and to get out and vote,” he said. “I think that’s when we’ll see more people signing up.”

Both the College Republicans and the College Democrats have had voter registration tables set up at various events, including Campus Fest. The groups’ leaders encourage members to promote registration to their friends and neighbors.

Some groups which had big registration drives for the presidential election have opted for smaller roles in registration this year, or have stopped registering voters altogether.

The Latino Student Union, which set up numerous tables for voter registration last year, has only been registering voters at regular LSU meetings, according to Brian Dixon, Political Action Chair.

“LSU will be registering its members at the meetings, but no special events are going on as far as voter registration this year,” Dixon said.

While there is no presidential election to attract voters this year, local elections may catch the attention of student voters, according to Khoury and Wasil.

Three University students are on the ballot for city council this November.

Republican Ashley Harlett and Democrat Gordy Heminger are running against each other to represent the 1st Ward on city council. In Ward 2, Republican student Ashley Gilbert is running opposite city resident John Zanfardino.

According to Khoury, the city council elections could swing the council’s majority from the Democrats to the Republicans.

“Right now Democrats have control of city council,” Khoury said. “While that may not seem like a big thing since it’s really not a very partisan office position, we like to have the control. This election could really shift whether we have the control or the Republicans have the control.”

According to Wasil, College Republicans have been going door-to-door with the Republican student candidates for city council to register voters.

“We want to get as many students registered as we can, because we want people to get out and vote for students,” Wasil said. “It’s a chance for the campus community to get involved in local politics and really make a difference that we can see.”

Four amendments to Ohio’s constitution will also be on the ballot Nov. 8.

Created by a group called Reform Ohio Now, the amendments support early voting, campaign funding reform, redistricting of legislative districts and the creation of a bi-partisan board of elections to supervise state elections.

Voters are not required to state party affiliation upon registration, and by law all voter registration cards must be turned in at the correct board of elections.

“We register anyone that’s willing to register,” Wasil said. “No discrimination. If you want to register to vote, we’ll provide you with a card to do it.”

‘#160;