Major Mania offers advice to students

For students experiencing major, or even minor difficulty in deciding what they want printed on their diplomas, help may be on the horizon.

In cooperation with each academic college and the Career Center, the Office of Academic Enhancement will host the Fifth Annual Major Mania in Olscamp room 101, from 1-4 p.m. tomorrow.

“The main purpose is to allow students to gather the kind of information that will be helpful for them as they select a major or minor,” said Mary Lynn Pozniak, the event’s coordinator. “It is actually a good opportunity for students to speak to several faculty or staff members at the University about any majors of interest.”

Fifty-six informational tables from different majors and colleges will be set up, and students will have the opportunity to learn about specific aspects of the majors they are considering.

According to Pozniak, every major offered by the University will be represented. “The college academic advising offices will all be there, so for any major that doesn’t have its own table, the college office will provide the information about that major.”

The Career Center will have two informational tables at Major Mania. One table will represent the University’s co-op and internship program, and the other will focus on a career software program called Sigi Plus, which is accessible through the MyBGSU Web site.

“Sigi Plus is a software program that helps students explore their interests and possible careers,” said Annette Badik, assistant director of the Career Center. “We’re going to be running the program throughout Major Mania, so students can sit down and we can teach them how to run the program.”

Badik said the Sigi Plus program is focused on helping students choose a major, but Career Center representatives will be on hand to talk to students about their future careers or to schedule counseling appointments.

The co-op and internship table will give students information about how on-the-job training will affect their education.

“The students are probably there to ask questions about majors, but they may also have questions about how their majors tie in to work, and then we will be there to answer questions about co-op and internship and how that can be meaningful to what they are learning,” Badik said.

Major Mania is not only for undecided students, according to Badik. Students interested in switching majors may also attend. “While it is focused on undecided students, there may be students who are undeclared within a college or unclear about their career goals or academic majors who may still want to attend.”

Over 200 students from University 131 classes will attend the event as part of the career and life planning course, Badik said.

“It’s pretty busy,” she added. “Last year there were hundreds of students who came, and we anticipate the same if the weather holds out”

In addition to being informative, Major Mania is also fun, according to Pozniak.

Students who fill out an evaluation of Major Mania will be entered in a raffle drawing for prizes, including a grand-prize Apple iPod.

Popcorn and other refreshments will be provided.

While Major Mania can be helpful to many students, Pozniak said students shouldn’t expect a miracle.

“We don’t guarantee that students are going to walk in the door with no idea what they’re doing and come out with a completely clear picture,” Pozniak said. “But I know that students have found Major Mania to be very helpful.”