One month later, local ties keep disaster in perspective

When the tsunami struck Indonesia, Sri Lanka and other Eastern nations last month, many University students were emotionally affected by the calamity.

Since that time, BGSU’s Counseling Center has been open to anyone who has needed help coping with tsunami-fueled emotions.

But few students have gone to the Counseling Center on campus for help regarding the tsunami.

“While many students were troubled by this devastating event, only one or two have specifically sought out treatment as a result of it,” said Counseling Center Director Craig Vickio.

This does not necessarily mean there are no students in need of counseling or other help, according to counselor Bai-Yin Chen.

There is a certain level of emotional distress that is normal in the aftermath of great tragedy, Chen said. A normal, less serious reaction includes watching coverage of a tragedy on television for lengthy periods of time, feeling powerless, crying more frequently and falling out of normal daily habits and routines.

More serious reactions to tragedy occur when people try to feel better, but become locked in a state of melancholy, Chen said. When symptoms last more than a month or several weeks, students may need to seek help from the Counseling Center.

More serious warning signs that people can look for in students affected by the tsunami include, ” … prolonged problems with concentrating, excessive preoccupation with thoughts of the traumatic event, increased difficulty with daily functioning, heightened anxiety or worry that persists for weeks, turning to drugs or alcohol to cope with distressed feelings, experiencing disturbed sleep or nightmares, displaying major changes in eating patterns or weight, withdrawing from others or experiencing increased strain or conflict in interpersonal relationships and displaying an inability to derive enjoyment from activities that would typically be enjoyable,” Vickio said.

Students who decide to seek help can visit the Counseling Center for an initial counseling appointment, called an intake, said Vickio.

“Students, faculty and staff are also welcome to call us if they wish to consult about how to help someone else who appears in need of assistance,” Vickio added.

To deal with the sense of powerlessness associated with major disasters, Vickio suggested that people could try to get involved with relief efforts for people in areas affected by the tsunami.

“We can also heighten our sense of control by focusing attention on our everyday routines, our exercise habits, our social contacts, our time spent working or studying, etc.,” Vickio said.

Talking to other people about negative emotions can also be a helpful way to heal, Chen said.

Recently, Chen has beenconsulting with the Center for International Programs to determine if a support group or educational workshop would be helpful to students from tsunami-affected countries.

“The tsunami hit many countries, countries with very diverse cultures,” Chen said. “Each culture has their appropriate way to deal with their personal, emotional reaction. That’s part of the challenge — to develop some program, service that is sensitive to as many students as possible.”

Chen said she was not sure if there will be enough student interest to start a support group, but that such a program could help students determine whether their reactions to the disaster are normal.

Editor’s Note: The Counseling Center has compiled a list of links to Web sites, to help people cope with the tsunami. Visit the list under “Current News” at www.bgsu.edu/offices/sa/counseling/.

Students, faculty or staff members who need urgent help are encouraged to call the local 24-hour crisis hotline, called the Link, at 419-352-1545.