Union hosts Kwanzaa ceremony

Traditional and contemporary African-American dances, music and foods will fill the Student Union Grand Ballroom tonight from 6-9 during the University’s eighth annual Kwanzaa celebration.

The program, which was planned by the Center for Multicultural and Academic Initiative under the leadership of its assistant director, Sheila Brown, is open to the public.

Bursarable tickets will be available for purchase at the door, starting at 5 p.m. The cost for general admission is $10, students will pay $8 and children under the age of 12 will be admitted for $5.

“The program was created in an effort to help with the diversity initiative so we can all be educated on other people’s cultures,” Brown said. She added that the theme of this year’s celebration is a tribute to African and African-American students’ organizations.

“We’re trying to alert and educate people who are not African-Americans about the tradition and culture found in the African-American community,” said Sharonda Glover, president of the Black Student Union.

According to Brown, Kwanzaa is a seven-day celebration of African history and heritage, which lasts from Dec. 26 through Jan. 1. The holiday was first celebrated in 1966 after it was created by Dr. Maulana Karenga, an American. Each of the seven days represents a principle that those who celebrate Kwanzaa are encouraged to adopt. The seven principles are unity, self-determination, collective work and respect, cooperative economics, purpose, creativity and faith.

Contrary to some misconceptions about Kwanzaa, Brown said, the holiday is not an African-American substitution for Christmas; it is not only for African-Americans, and it is not affiliated with any religion. The principle of faith, celebrated on the seventh day of Kwanzaa, is purposefully nonspecific in order to accommodate the numerous faiths embraced by Kwanzaa celebrators.

Glover, who does not celebrate Kwanzaa, still believes the seven principles of Kwanzaa are good models for human behavior. “Each [principle] represents something all people should try to follow,” she said.

Bowling Green’s Kwanzaa celebration will include a feast, which is normally a part of the sixth day of Kwanzaa. The Soul Food Buffet Dinner will serve collard greens, macaroni and cheese, chicken, cornbread and fried catfish filets.

As people enter the ballroom, they will be immersed in the sounds of Drum Circle of the World, a non-campus-affiliated group, which performs African drum music.

During the dinner, entertainment will be provided by the dance group Eccentricity and Otha Randall, a 10-year-old hip-hop dancer.

After the meal, the Africana Dance Troupe will perform, and For Your Intertainment (FYI) will present African folk tales.

Finally, the North Pan Hellenic Council will present seven different Greek unity steps which have been adapted from traditional African dances. Each “step,” or synchronized dance, will be representative of one of Kwanzaa’s seven principles.

Brown, who has planned the Kwanzaa event for the past six years, said she has seen an increase in attendance each year, and that this year was marked by a considerable amount of student involvement.

“The entire program is conducted by student organizations,” Brown said.

According to Glover, the most important aspect of the Kwanzaa celebration is that it is based on past African traditions. “Kwanzaa’s roots are found in history,” she said. “[Africans] did have traditions, and going back to roots is what Kwanzaa is all about.”