Signs someone is dealing with domestic violence

Domestic Violence Awareness Month

It can sometimes be difficult to figure out if a person is dealing with domestic violence, whether it is someone they know or themself. 

Knowing the warning signs can be crucial in helping a self-situation or helping a loved one get out of an abusive relationship or household. 

Some warning signs that someone may be dealing with domestic violence, according to Women’s Advocates, include their partner calling them constantly to check in on them or showing up unexpectedly, the victim is not allowed to do things without their partner, the abuser humiliates or makes the victim feel bad in front of their friends and family, the victim looking very tired and not dressing in the same way as before and sudden loss of contact with the victim. 

Domestic violence can take many forms and it is important to approach a person who is thought to be in a dangerous situation with care, ensure they are safe, respect their choices and offer a place of support, according to the Center for Prevention and Abuse. 

There are many resources on and off campus for someone who may be dealing with domestic violence.