Dozens shave hair for childhood cancer research at BGSU St. Baldrick’s Shave A Thon

Dozens of people ‘braved the shave’ Sunday as the St. Baldrick’s Foundation hosted its annual Shave-A-Thon.

Those who shaved their heads did so for a variety of reasons ranging from cancer survivors to people who simply wanted to show support for others.

“I chose to shave my head because a lot of people who are going through cancer and cancer treatments don’t get a choice to shave their head,” said Bryna Walker, a student volunteer with the National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH).

Walker said the NRHH works with the St. Baldrick’s Foundation and the Shave-A-Thon is their biggest event of the year.

The event has been held at BGSU for 12 years and has raised over $172,000, according to St. Baldrick’s.

“Our biggest goal is to raise the most money as possible for the St. Baldrick’s Foundation [which] funds the most childhood cancer research out of any non-governmental organization,” said the event’s coordinator, Alex Bakhaus.

Bakhaus also said even if someone isn’t affected by cancer, there’s still an important reason to get involved.

“Your hair is a really big part of your identity, and a lot of people are emotionally attached to it,” she said. “So, we’re here to show them that we’re in it with you, we can shave our heads, it will grow back and we all look awesome.”

Those who shaved their heads ranged from children, students, parents and grandparents.

Karen Porter, a resident of Whitehouse, Ohio showed up with her entire family, including her grandson who has participated in the event five times, and her daughter who has shaved her head twice, and all three shaved their heads this year.

She said there are many reasons she ‘braves the shave’ year after year.

“The first time I did it was in 2016 and I’ve done it every year except for two,” said Porter. “I originally did it because I had two sister-in-law’s go through cancer and I wanted to support them.”

She also said she does so for kids she sees on social media battling cancer and wishes to help them.

However, one of the main reasons Porter has shaved her head for several years is because she hopes her children never have to hear the devasting words that so many families hear on a daily basis.

“One of the main reasons I do it is I have seven kids and I have 16 grandkids, and I feel so blessed and I don’t want my kids to have to go through hearing ‘your child has cancer,’ so I just want to help find a cure,” she said.

If you’re unsure about shaving your head at a future event, Porter has some words of encouragement for you.

“Bald is beautiful,” she said.

For more information about the BGSU St. Baldrick’s, visit their website.