Daylight Saving Time begins this weekend

Photo by Pixabay

Daylight Saving Time begins this Sunday, March 10 at 2 a.m. and Falcons will lose an hour of sleep as Ohio springs forward one hour.

Although you may not be overly joyous to lose the one hour of slumber, it does come with a change in daylight. Once the clock changes, the evenings will now have more daylight while the mornings may be somewhat darker, a possible sign that summer will be here before you know it.

As many people dread the idea of springing forward, you may be wondering where and why this idea even became a reality.

In 1916, Germany was the first country to implement Daylight Saving Time in order to save fuel during World War I. As a result, the United States decided to follow suit in 1918.

However, it wasn’t until 1966 that the practice became standardized across America. The Uniform Time Act gave the federal government the power to control the time change, according to AARP.

Not all states observe the clock switch, either. Hawaii and Arizona are just a few of the states that also don’t change time.

Even though the idea is well-known in the U.S., it’s not an entirely worldwide practice. About 70 countries partake in the switch, but countries such as China, Japan and India skip it altogether.

As much as you don’t like making the time switch, your body and health don’t either.

In fact, the risk of heart attacks and stroke increases, according to the John Hopkins Bloomberg School of Health.

The sun affects humans’ circadian rhythms, which is the internal clock our bodies follow. Having more exposure to sunlight in the evenings following the time switch, which is closer to bedtime, makes it more difficult to fall asleep, thus resulting in less sleep.

As a result of less sleep, your cardiovascular health can be affected, too.

Dozens of states have also considered proposals to end the switching of the clock and adopt permanent Daylight Saving Time or permanent standard time. However, many states have yet to make a definitive decision on the practice.

Daylight Saving Time will end on Nov. 3.