Staying safe on spring break

Photo by Pixabay

BGSU’s spring break begins Monday, March 4 and many students may be traveling to unfamiliar locations to soak up the sun.

Staying safe on spring break begins before you even leave the house. BGSU’s spring break checklist recommends you make copies of important documents such as your passport, insurance cards and driver’s license to leave with a friend or parent.

“We encourage our students and learning community members to be always aware of their surroundings, to travel with friends or family and to remove themselves from potentially dangerous situations when possible,” said BGSU Police Chief Michael Campbell.

When visiting locations you are not familiar with, it’s important to know what to do to keep you and your friends safe.

The first tip to keep yourself safe while in an unfamiliar area is to protect your location. Sharing too much personal information could endanger your safety, according to Berkshire Hathway Travel Protection.

To keep your location safe, hold off on posting photos on social media until after you return. That way, potential criminals are not able to actively track and know where you are located in real time.

The second tip to staying safe deals with power in numbers. Always arrive and leave with friends or the group you are traveling with.

In addition, agree on a place to meet up together if you ever get separated.

Another way to protect yourself if you’re venturing to somewhere that has a pool or beach is to be smart about consuming alcohol.

The American Safety Council said roughly 70% of deaths from recreational water activities involve alcohol, so it’s imperative you don’t drink and swim.

Finally, it’s generally a good idea to simply increase your awareness of your surroundings. Just because you are on vacation does not mean danger disappears.