BG News awarded Frank E. Deaner for Excellence in Collegiate Journalism, 6 others at 2024 ONMA awards

The BG News received six awards, in addition to the Frank E. Deaner for Excellence in Collegiate Journalism award, while at the Ohio News Media Association awards in Columbus, Ohio Thursday, April 5.
Blake Pierce (News Content Director), Alivia Hartpence (current BG News Managing Editor, next year’s BG News Editor-In-Chief), Lucas Kleimeyer (current Production Director, next year’s Falcon Media Sports Network Director).
BG Falcon Media Staff

I am beyond proud of this organization for all we have achieved. This shows that the hard work and dedication we have put into BG Falcon Media doesn’t go unnoticed, and for that we should take great pride in it. I know the momentum will only increase as the organization continues to grow.

— Editor-in-Chief Makenna Flores

15 collegiate newspapers competed in two divisions at the 2024 Ohio News Media Association awards. Divisions were split by enrollment and The BG News competed in Division A against other participants that included Ohio State, Ohio University, Kent State, Miami University, Cincinnati, and Youngstown State.

For the first time in the contest’s 15 years, BG News was honored with the Division A Frank E. Deaner for Excellence in Collegiate Journalism.

The BG News has served as the voice of the students at Bowling Green State University since 1920 and Editor-in-Chief Makenna Flores says she is proud of the recognition at the 2024 ONMA Awards.

BG News Editor-in-Chief Makenna Flores

“I am beyond proud of this organization for all we have achieved. This shows that the hard work and dedication we have put into BG Falcon Media doesn’t go unnoticed, and for that we should take great pride in it,” Flores said. “I know the momentum will only increase as the organization continues to grow.”

The BG News releases a weekly issues during the school year and Falcon Media Sports Network provides vast coverage of BGSU’s sporting events. Both organizations operate underneath BG Falcon media, an independent, student-ran content platform.

“Our students do consistently great work across all facets and platforms for our community,” said Falcon Media Manager Karl Smith. “To be recognized as for this excellence among our peers is a testament to our students’ dedication.”

“It’s incredible to watch the hard work everyone has put in over the past year and incredibly gratifying to see that others in the industry are noticing the hard work as well. I’m so proud of all of the contributions that have continued to push BG Falcon Media to a higher standard,” said Executive Content Director Brandon Loe.

2024 OMNA Awards