Grant will extend North Coast Inland Trail

Park District of Ottawa County
The Genoa Town Hall and Opera House in the Village of Genoa.

The Park District of Ottawa County (PDOC) will receive $1,119,000 in federal funding to extend the North Coast Inland Trail (NCIT) from its existing terminus at Washington Street in the Village of Genoa, over Packer Creek, finishing at Ninth Street. The project comes from the Transportation Alternatives Program (TAP) through the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT). 

The extension project will cut through Genoa’s Main Street Historic District, creating trail access to retail, restaurants, offices and historic sites including the Genoa Town Hall and Civic Theatre, constructed in the 1880s and recognized with an Ohio Historical Marker.

“Receiving these funds is a huge milestone for the Park District and the Village of Genoa,” Park District of Ottawa County Executive Director Jannah Wilson said. “Bringing the North Coast Inland Trail through the Village will provide additional outdoor recreation opportunities to the surrounding community and Northwest Ohio.”

Wilson said ODOT has slated construction for the 2027 fiscal year.

According to ODOT, TAP provides funding for projects defined as transportation alternatives, including on-and off-road pedestrian and bicycle facilities, infrastructure projects for improving non-driver access to public transportation and enhanced mobility, community improvement activities, environmental mitigation, recreational trail program projects, and safe routes to school projects.