Memorial Day weekend: Parade, road closures, possible rain

Folding+an+American+flag.+
Folding an American flag.

This weekend brings the unofficial start to summer – Memorial Day weekend – and in Bowling Green, it will feature potentially rainy weather and plenty of festivities.

The city’s annual Memorial Day Parade will begin at 10 a.m. on Monday, May 27. According to the city, several streets will be temporarily closed during the parade.

Streets will be closed shortly before the parade goes by and will re-open once the parade is past.  The parade route:

• Parade starts at Washington Street;
  • Parade will travel on North Main Street from Washington to Court Street;
  • At Court, the parade will turn east and proceed to Thurstin Avenue;
  • Parade will turn north on Thurstin and proceed to Ridge Street for pedestrians and Merry Avenue for vehicles;
  • Via Ridge and Merry, the parade will end at Oak Grove Cemetery.

The parade will also stop at the Wood County Courthouse for the laying of a wreath.

After the parade, the Bowling Green Memorial Day Planning Committee will host a ceremony in Oak Grove Cemetery and a service at Wood County Memory Gardens Cemetery on Liberty High Road will be at 1 p.m.

If it rains, services will be held at the Veterans Memorial Building in the Bowling Green City Park on Monday at 10:30 a.m.

And rain is possible, according to the National Weather Service. In fact, the forecast calls for a chance of showers and/or thunderstorms every day beginning Friday evening through the middle of next week. In addition, according to the Toledo Metropolitan Area Council of Governments website, while air quality will be good through that period, higher ozone levels on Thursday and Friday indicate “precautionary measures should be taken by sensitive groups.”