BGSU men’s basketball adds Nevada high school standout Alijah Adem

Drake Harlett
BGSU Head Coach Todd Simon

Alijah Adem, a 6-foot-2-inch guard from Spring Valley High School and one of the top prospects in Nevada’s 2024 class, has committed to Bowling Green. 

Adem joins Preston Squire, Jaxon Pardon, Youssef Khayat, Braelon Green, Javontae Campbell, Marcus Johnson, Wilguens Jr. Exacte and Derrick Butler as incoming Falcons for the 2024-2025 season.  

“I chose Bowling Green because of coach Simon and his staff. Coach believed in me and stood by my side throughout the years,” Adem said. “I believe in his vision, and I want to be part of a program that feels like a family. I also feel like I can help the program as much as they can help me.”  

BGSU head coach Todd Simon started recruiting Adem two years ago when he headed the Southern Utah program 

Over the past few years, Adem has received interest from numerous other schools, including UC Santa Barbara, Houston, Colorado, Pepperdine, UC Irvine, Princeton, IUPUI, Houston Christian, Texas A&M and Utah State.  

Although Adem played just two seasons of high school basketball, he became the first player in Spring Valley High School history to score 1,000 career points, finishing with 1,044 in just 41 games.  

After his freshman season was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Adem was named Nevada 4A Player of the Year in his sophomore season. He led the state with 26.4 points scored and 7.8 assists per game.  

However, he did not play his junior season as he recovered from a torn ACL.  

Adem was named a McDonald’s High School All-American nominee this past season after averaging 25.7 points, 7.8 assists, 5.7 rebounds and 2.6 steals per game. Adem shot 62.2% from the field, 60.2% on three-pointers and 89.8% on free throws. 

“I am thankful for the opportunity and I am ready to work,” Adem said in a post on X.