Actions speak louder than words for climate change

The column entitled “Find meaning in all of God’s creations” in the March 11 edition of The BG News painfully reminds me of the growing threats posed by climate change.

Like the columnist, I also marvel at the beauty of nature during walks or long car rides. I’m constantly stunned at our world’s irreplaceable beauty. I remember how lucky I am to be surrounded by such a phenomenon. However, this amazement is often followed by disappointment and worry— the “tangible existence” of our world, made up of “the seas, the atmosphere, the land and the animals,” is faced with destruction right in front of us. If we want our surroundings to remain coherent, as he describes them, we must save them from the damages of climate change.

If God did create this world, surely we were meant to admire, appreciate and— most importantly— preserve it. Our appreciation of the world’s beauty must fuel action to preserve its livelihood that we so heavily depend on. Why would anyone be OK with letting this blessing, which many believe to have been gracefully bestowed upon us, go to waste?

If we want to continue to enjoy our “favorite sites in the world in their best appearances,” comprehensive measures to combat climate change must be taken. The time has come to do away with antiquated sources of energy that are expensive and dangerous. By investing in renewable energy sources such as wind, solar or geothermal, we will be investing in a future that exists. I want the University to show that renewable energy is a necessary investment that is both cost-effective and healthy.

If we fail to act, think of all that will be needlessly sacrificed.

Thomas Hoffman, Junior