Alumnus releases album while working full time

Cory Breth performs his own solo acoustic music live in 2012 at the University for students using a harmonica, piano and guitar.

Getting a full time job and starting your life may be a goal for a few people after graduation, but for University graduate Cory Breth, that wasn’t his main priority.

Even though the singer and songwriter has a full-time job as a Spanish teacher in Tipp City, Ohio, he spent the majority of his time after graduation in 2012 writing songs for his debut album “Driving Blind,” released on March 1.

Breth used a harmonica, piano and an acoustic guitar on the album, but his lyrics consist of his views on life and religion and he uses a few verses from the Bible in some songs as well. Breth said the meaning behind the title track “Driving Blind” is about not knowing what’s going to happen next in life, yet the world keeps moving.

“For years I’ve been undecided for everything because there’s so many things that I want to do,” Breth said. “It’s more of how things are starting to look, like my path is painted but I don’t know if that’s exactly where I want to be.”

Doug Walton, lyricist and songwriter, is close friends with Breth and collaborated with the musician on tracks such as “There Is A Place” and “Keep Me” by writing lyrics. Walton said he decided to write lyrics for Breth because they both share the same religious views.

“Those are both very much informed by our faith in Jesus,” Walton said. “The style of those lyrics were perfect for the way he writes the music.”

Andy Fletcher recorded and produced Breth’s album in the upstairs of his apartment. Fletcher said the process went fast because all of the songs were already written and Breth had done everything himself.

“It was pretty much just miking him up and having him play,” Fletcher said. “He’s got a hell of a voice on him and has a great personality to record with.”

Breth said he chose Walton and Fletcher to make the album together because of their views of the world and being close friends.

“They’re really good writers,” Breth said. “It was a lot easier and more fun to write because you can be a lot more honest with people you know. With your good buddies, you can shoot your ideas and not get shot down.”

“Driving Blind” is available to buy on iTunes, and can be listened to on his YouTube channel “Cory Breth” and on ReverbNation.

“It’s a very personal album,” Breth said. “I want to paint a very transparent picture of what I believe in and what I’ve experienced in the last few years.”