Content Any Way U Want It!

Content Any Way U Want It!

Content Any Way U Want It!

Join our team
Join the Falcon Media team for Spring semester - paid staff positions, internships, volunteer opportunities. Applications open now until October 13. Get the details!
September 29, 2023

• My Fiction Icks
    By Jay Grummel When you read as much as I do you start to notice common things in fiction that make you annoyed, upset  or even want to put down the book completely. I have a bad habit of not giving books much of a chance when they use some of these personal ‘icks’. However, […]
  • Poetry for Fall
    By Jay Grummel Poetry has a way of connecting us to the external and internal world. In poetry it is easier to feel a season and truly feel a piece due to this. Poetry has a subtle way of making the readers immersed into the world of the poem. With the air getting colder and […]
September 29, 2023

Event focuses on negative consequences of posting on Facebook and other social media

James T. Jackson

What may seem like a harmless post on Facebook or Twitter may end up affecting a student’s college or professional career.

James Jackson and Alexandria Harris warned a crowd of roughly 60 students against careless posting, advising them how to conduct themselves properly on social media sites during their presentation, “The Impact of Technology on Young Adults.”

The event was hosted by the Office of Multicultural Affairs, Project Search and Students of Color Mentoring, Aiding, Retaining and Teaching Program in 201 Union at 7:30 p.m.

During the presentation, Jackson, president of Jay Jay Speaks, a company that focuses on inspirational and educational speeches, and Harris, resource specialist for the Gateway to College Program at Owens Community College, cautioned students against posting inappropriate pictures or rants on social media sites.

“What you did freshman year may come back to bite you senior year,” Jackson said.

If prospective employers see this, they may be quick to reject the application for a more professional applicant, Jackson said,

These posts can also be in violation of student conduct in college, Harris said.

“If someone is mad at you, they might get back at you,” she said in regards to people reposting pictures they were sent to social media sites.

When it comes down to it, the two suggested monitoring usage of technology.

“If you look at social media, are you aware of how much you’re using it?” Jackson asked the crowd. “You only have 180 hours in a week, how are you using it?”

While the pair acknowledged the younger generation has grown up with technology and is always connected, they said people should know the time to disconnect.

“Many of us don’t multitask as well as we think we do,” Jackson said.

Some of the students in attendance acknowledged they overuse technology.

“I learned I spent way too much time on social media,” said freshman Tationa Dennard, who attended the event because she is part of SMART Program. “I already have a positive presence on Facebook, but I should separate the personal from the professional.”

Keeping in mind who she accepts as friends as well as what she posts is what Dennard said she would take away from the presentation.

Freshman Danielle Hall said the presenters had a lot of information she didn’t think about, such as how social media can be a distraction.

“More people need to consider how much they use technology,” Hall said. “My phone started ringing in the last minutes of the presentation, but I wanted to pay attention— you have to make that choice between what you are currently doing or something distracting.”