More than 800 people registered for 15th annual Sibs N’ Kids Weekend

For sophomore Kezia Reynolds, organizing “Just Dance” at Sibs N’ Kids Weekend was more than just an activity; it represented a life-long passion for dancing.

Reynolds is the vice president of Elem3nt dance group, which invited students and their siblings to play the Just Dance video game in the Union Saturday afternoon as part of Sibs N’ Kids Weekend.

“It’s nice to bring the siblings up and to see the family,” she said. “This creates memories that will last a lifetime.”

The University Activities Organization sponsored the fifteenth annual Sibs N’ Kids Weekend to showcase the University to students’ families, said Kristin Pikunas, director of the Sibs N’ Kids Weekend.

Some activities that took place during the weekend included cornhole, laser tag and a Hunger Games training session where students and their siblings could participate in activities from the movie, she said.

More than 800 people registered for the weekend, about 200 shy of this past year’s numbers, said Rhea Vulgamore, assistant director of the Sibs N’ Kids Weekend.

UAO labeled the weekend a success despite the drop in attendance, she said.

Reynolds invited her younger brothers Tyberius, 12, and Malach, 10, to the weekend because she wanted her brothers to enjoy what the University had to offer, Reynolds said.

Reynolds and her brothers have been dancing since they could walk, she said.

“Dancing is a good stress reliever,” Tyberius said. “We just go with the flow.”

In addition to “Just Dance,” Reynolds wanted her brothers to relax and take advantage of some of the other 49 planned activities during the Sibs N’ Kids Weekend.

“Overall, the weekend was great,” Vulgamore said. “Students and their siblings really showed they loved being here.”

Amongst the most popular activities was the Hunger Games training session, which attracted more than 150 students and their siblings to the Union ballroom Saturday night, Vulgamore said.

The Hunger Games training session was focused on entertaining teenagers and boasted the highest number of guests among any other activity during the weekend, with 155 people, she said.

While the nights were focused on teenagers, the days looked to entertain a younger audience.

Self portraits, an inflatable boxing ring and giant Lego building areas garnered the attention of many young siblings in attendance.

“I really liked this weekend, especially the boxing,” said Kaleb Schmich, nine-year-old brother of freshman Kylee Schmich. “I’ll definitely want to come back again,” he said.

Braving crowds of hundreds of people was worth it if it meant Kaleb would have fun, Kylee said.

“Above all just being able to see the family is great,” she said.

Some guests arrived as early as 9 a.m. Saturday to grab a good spot in line and to get an early start to the weekend.

“We’ve been preparing since early in the morning,” said freshman Kyle Howard. “This is a great way for the whole family to see each other.”

Even with full schedules and constant excitement, the chance to be with family was a big focus for the weekend, Vulgamore said.

“I’ve had the time of my life here and I wish it wouldn’t end,” said Malach Reynolds, younger brother of Elem3nt dance member Kezia Reynolds.

“After this I definitely don’t want to go back to school on Monday,” he said.