Support faculty by witholding donations

The administration has recently tried to justify cutting 100 faculty positions by claiming the job cuts would help ensure the success of students, while keeping the student-to-instructor ratio the same.

That sort of cookie-cutter justification goes against statements that run to the core of the University, such as the claim from the University website that “The heart and soul of our University is our faculty … They are focused on preparing our students to be successful in today’s knowledge-based, global economy.”

As an alumnus, it’s clear that the current administration has forgotten the core values and interests of the University. So much so, that when I was asked to donate this week, I had to declare that until the decision to cut faculty is reversed, and the current leadership at the University is no longer in place, I cannot support my beloved alma mater.

Once a Falcon, always a Falcon. That’s still true, but it would be a huge slap in the face of every faculty mentor that gave me one of the unique and formative opportunities I had in my time at the University were I to donate with their jobs on the line.

It’s important that the student body realizes that these faculty cuts are a huge deal, but it’s imperative that you make your voice heard as loud and as often as you possibly can.

I made the decision that I couldn’t contribute to the University during one of the semi-regular calls alumni get asking for a donation. As soon as I was off the phone, I emailed President Mazey and other University officials asking them to reconsider these cuts, explaining why I won’t be donating any time soon. What response does a concerned alumnus get?

Nothing.

That’s the tone the administration takes with the faculty, too.

I’ve posted the email online (zachtarvin.tumblr.com), and intend to share it with known University contributors, area businesses and alumni very soon.

I urge each and every one of you to do the same. Write to the administrators. Tell your parents. Tell your friends.

The faculty are the stewards of your education. Without quality educators, your degree is a very expensive piece of paper.

It’s been said before, what you’re witnessing is an abuse of power. Such an abuse of power demands the individuals responsible be held accountable. Until they are, the University is being made to look like a joke.

Inside Higher Ed recently posted some interesting statements about our current faculty situation. What does it say about our school that our football coach makes over $350,000 a year and members of the faculty may only be making 10 to 15 percent of that?

I will always support a fellow Falcon. But support people who would actively deprive you of what could be the opportunity of a lifetime? Never. Right now, those people are in charge.