The case against concealed carry permits

An Open Letter to the Students of BGSU,

On 16 April 2016, Jeffry Smith and a group of fellow “gun rights” activists walked through your campus, ostensibly to educate you about gun safety, but mainly to try to convince you that concealed carry (of firearms) on campus is a good idea. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Consider that Mr. Smith is a “gun rights” activist and you will easily see that he is simply trying to convert you to his point of view. Mr. Smith and others like him “get off” on “packing heat” and don’t seem to care about the 100s and 1000s of innocent Americans who are executed and otherwise gunned down yearly because of widespread ownership of all sorts of firearms, vigorously promoted by the NRA and its followers.

Consider too the numbers of your fellow students at Virginia Tech, the University of Texas and other universities/colleges who have likewise been killed by fellow students who have “snapped.”

With open carry, at least students have a chance to see the upcoming danger and get out of the way and call the police. With concealed carry, that chance is essentially gone.

University campuses should be places of learning, where budding scholars seeking wisdom can go without fear of being shot at by someone who is now mad at the world, etc, and now wants vengeance on the nearest person.

No parent should ever have to worry about whether the student he/she sends off to university (or any school for that matter) will come home at end of term … or sooner in a body bag.

“Gun rights” activists will tell you that concealed carry is the only way that you can protect yourself against people who want to hurt you. If that is correct, then why do so many fully armed policemen/women die at the hands of shooters they never saw coming? Why are gun owners killed with their own weapons in their own homes?

I have argued that “gun rights” activists are simply gun addicts who are feeding their own addiction to the brain power surge they get from “packing heat.”

When I hear “gun rights” activists talk, I hear the same language that I have heard from people addicted to cigarettes or alcohol.

Gun addicts have something that other addicts don’t: the Constitution’s second amendment. Courts have ruled that anyone can own a gun and carry it anywhere on public property.

When various groups, communities, etc, get together and try to ban guns from their grounds, and this includes BG, they are cowed by the threat of expensive lawsuits which they will almost certainly lose.

If gun ownership is so benign, why does the NRA have to terrorize people who oppose their point of view? Why does the NRA terrorize our legislators who want to legislate gun control by threatening to get them booted out of office at the next election?

What when the shooters come to BG and BGSU?

Respond to William at