Movie collection explores race issues

The “dream” is still alive, and it’s coming to the big screen in Hanna Hall on Wednesday night.

The sixth annual Reel Black Film Series, a collection of films and documentaries, stretches from Feb. 6 to March 12 at the Gish Film Theater.

The series addresses social justice and racial issues that plagues society, said Daniel Murphy, graduate assistant for campus activities.

The series kicks off tonight at 8 p.m. in room 205 of Hannah Hall with the premier of “Solace,” a film about a couple struggling to survive in a poor economy.

“Solace” was written and directed by Daniel Williams, a University film professor and director.

To help promote the series, several campus organizations became involved such as University Activities Organization.

Rob Obey, curator for the series, reached out to UAO to collaborate on the film series, Murphy said.

“After careful consideration, UAO found contributing to the series was appropriate,” Murphy said. “The series as a whole will [benefit] the campus community.”

The film series is open to the public, and UAO hopes the will audience take advantage by engaging in discussions with the directors.

Directors crave the chance to present their work to a live audience, Williams said.

“A live audience is an invaluable tool for receiving critical feedback,” he said.

Williams jumped at the chance to show his years of work to an audience.

“I couldn’t pass up this opportunity,” Williams said. “This benefits me as an artist and it benefits the audience.”

The practice of showing films to a live audience isn’t new to the University.

For instance, the CinePosium, a screening event where film students can present their work to an audience, is utilized by dozens each year, Williams said.

“It’s the best way to gauge how well your film is working,” said Ryan Featherston, president of University Film Organization.

“You’re constantly second guessing yourself when you’re arranging the footage and trying to tell the best story possible,” he said.