Learn about gun control, stop preaching

I like guns. I like guns a lot.

As a matter of fact, I own several, including the dreaded assault rifle.

But do you know what I don’t like? I don’t like crazy people standing on their soapboxes preaching their extreme pro gun stuff.

Look, firearms are neat. The whole way they work is an amazing feat of engineering.

If you haven’t looked at the “guts” of a rifle, then please go Google it. It’s worth a Google.

But are we really helping ourselves by posting on social media stating that more guns in schools would actually help? That you would rather die than give up your guns? That you think every American should own a gun?

Stop. Just please stop. You’re making me upset, like really upset.

But allow me to introduce myself so you know whom you are upsetting. I don’t just have the ability to write neat things like this, but I am also a member and an employee of the National Rifle Association.

That’s right, I have been working for the largest pro-Second Amendment organization on the planet for five years. Take notice that not even the NRA wants to hear your bat-excrament-crazy remarks.

Look, I am all for people using guns and learning to handle them. But I am not just giving away pistols to any boy old enough to spit. The recent shootings have occurred because guns were in the hands of the wrong people, and guess what, there are more of those people out there.

Do you want to know where my guns and ammunition are? They are 45 miles away from Bowling Green, in a locked safe that only I know the combination to.

That’s because I don’t have the desire to ask President Mary Ellen Mazey for permission to carry a .32 to class with me in case all hell breaks loose.

If you really want to help, then demonstrate the responsibility that every gun owner should have. Blowing up all your liberal friends’ news feeds will not persuade anyone that you are mature enough to handle all the responsibility to shoot, carry or even own a firearm.

If you really want to preserve our Second Amendment like I do, then educate those around you about safety and show responsibility by example.

I personally don’t let anyone touch my rifles without making sure they know everything from safety to how to clean it afterwards. This is the proper way to show that guns are not just “violent instruments,” but also an amazing hobby and a way to protect yourself.

Let’s all take a step back and look for a message of understanding. Pro-gun, anti-gun and everything else, we can all agree there is nothing more annoying than “that guy” on Facebook ranting and raving.

Don’t be “that guy.”

Respond to Ethan at