New Dean for College of Health and Human Services

The University has chosen the next dean of the College of Health and Human Services.

Marie Huff, a Western Carolina University faculty member in the Department of Social Work and former interim dean, will be the next dean beginning Jan. 1, according to a press release from the University.

Currently filling the position is Nancy Orel in an interim role.

Huff is described as “an experienced North Carolina administrator,” according to the press release.

Through her experience, Huff has dealt with enrollment management, fundraising, academic policy development and the construction of a new facility for her college, according to the press release.

“As a social work faculty member and department chair, she spearheaded the implementation of a master of social work program as well as a substance abuse studies certificate program,” the press release read.

Christopher Dunn was the interim dean before Orel and filled the position from July 2012 until August of this year when he left on medical leave.

Coming into this new position, Huff will be dealing with the space in the old health center.

“A major issue is how the space will be distributed and serve the needs of the college,” Dunn said. “Another is how the new dean wants to move the direction of the college.”

Huff said in the press release she is honored to be selected as the next dean of the College of Health and Human Services.

“The University and the college enjoy an excellent reputation. I look forward to collaborating with University leadership, faculty, staff, students and the community as we explore new and innovative opportunities for the college,” she said in the press release.