Leadership not based on ability to lead, but other factors which shape character

Leaders are everywhere. On a small scale, you might find them among circles of friends, in classrooms or among families.

On a larger scale, one might think of a CEO of a large company, or perhaps the president. With the inevitability of leadership roles being filled, what constitutes a good one?

First, let’s define what a leader actually is. A leader is the one in charge, the one who convinces people to follow. In essence, a leader can make or break the success of an entire group

A good leader first must have conviction, a strong sense of right and wrong. An easily swayed leader will never get anything done.

As a leader, you cannot be worried about what’s popular at the moment or how people will view you when you make hard decisions. The problem with developing standards and beliefs based on a popularity contest is that the requirements to win it are always changing. A leader must stick to what he or she knows to be true.

Holding tight to beliefs and values in this ever-changing, circumstantial world that we are surrounded by is vital. Truth is not relative, it is constant.

Winston Churchill is a prime example. When Adolf Hitler came to Great Britain, asking for a public acknowledgement of his power in exchange for the holding on of the empire, it was assumed that there would be little contest. After all, the other European leaders had either put up little contest or were conquered.

It made sense for Churchill to surrender. But he did not. He stuck to truth and went against the evil, even when it did not seem to be the right move to ensure safety of his country.

A leader must also not be focused on a personal agenda or on advancing their own personal standings. They must look out for the good of those they are leading with humility. A leader must recognize faults in themselves and remember they are by no means better than or above those they represent. They cannot be above wise council or correction.

In fact, they should surround themselves with people that give them truthful, unbiased thoughts and opinions.

As we select and evaluate our leaders, we should not look for perfection because no leader will ever be able to obtain that. We should not look for a savior, because nothing on this earth could ever be that, especially a flawed human.

Rather, look at their characters, the way they live their lives every day. Notice the way they treat the weakest link, for that is where you find the reality of their character.

Respond to Kayla at