Students to come together, discuss solutions for racially charged tweets

Students will come together on the second floor of the Union in the old greenery at 10 p.m. to discuss possible solutions in an open forum about the racially charged tweets.

Tweets targeted the Black Student Union as a racial hate group Monday night from twitter account @PatFalcon.

Because the Black Student Union was not the only group affected by the tweets, there is no student organization hosting the event, but instead it will be ran solely by students.

“We don’t want to speak for the students when it wasn’t just a specific group that hurt from them,” said Kevin Lewis, presient of BSU. “This is time for all of us to come together and talk about this.”

The Black Student Union was happy with the responses and support from everyone on campus, which is why it made this a student-driven event where anyone is able to attend, Lewis said.

Everyone will be able to share thoughts and opinions about the tweets as well as solutions for how to fix it.

“We aren’t sure what the next step is from here, which is why we want student input,” Lewis said. “It’s not our decision to make for everyone.”

Although the event tonight may seem like it may be a rally of hate, that is not the purpose of the event, Lewis said.

“This is just an open discussion with no anger towards anyone, just a time for us to come together and fix this problem,” he said. “Then we will go from there.”@