Joseph Philport ’75, uses University experience to advance career

Joseph Philport’s first reaction when he got to Bowling Green was “oh my gosh, it’s flat.”

Philport came to the University in 1972 to get his Ph.D. in the Radio, TV and Film program.

From New Jersey, Philport had never been to Bowling Green and chose it based on the recommendation of a fellow faculty member at a New Jersey university he was teaching at.

“I had no idea what it was going to be like,” he said. “It was very welcoming. The thing I liked about the University was it was very collegial.”

Philport’s experience was challenging, but also a lot of fun, he said.

“Academically, I grew a great deal,” he said. “I gained a lot from the University and what was offered.”

Now, Philport is the president and CEO of the Traffic Audit Bureau for Media Measurement, a company that measures the audience for outdoor advertisements.

Recently, Philport was given a University Academy of Distinguished Alumni Award.

“It was nice to know the University was looking at what alumni were doing, especially with the distance,” he said.

Philport said he thinks a project he worked on with TAB helped him win the award. The project measured the audience for out of home media.

Looking back on his years at the University, Philport advises students to enjoy their time in school.

“Undergraduate or graduate [students], I think success will come to you those who engage in the experience they’re involved in at the moment,” he said.