Giving up is never the answer; Roll Along

To whom this may concern, 

Failing is never easy, yet it is something many people experience. Imagine a time in your life where you strived to achieve a goal, but fell short of accomplishing it. How did you overcome the disappointment?

As quickly as the middle of the semester is approaching, many students are beginning to experience different types of exams, quizzes and midterms. While preparing for these exams, some of the material may be easier to understand, whereas other material could be more difficult.

Now, I may just be speaking for myself, but I know I’ve experienced plenty of times where I believed I studied enough for an exam, yet I arrive to class and the test seems as if it is in some sort of “gibberish.”

Unfortunately, I have failed. From time-to-time, people fail at least once in their life. Yet, what is more important is how people deal with it.

Did I ever give up after failing? No. Did I want to give up after failing? Yes. It seemed like the easiest solution, because it is. However, life isn’t made to be easy and if it were, we wouldn’t have as many successes in life as you must work hard to succeed.

Let’s take a look at Michael Jordan for example. MJ, known for being one of the greatest NBA basketball players of all time, was actually cut from his high school basketball team. What if MJ gave up after failing in high school? Would he have achieved as many goals in his basketball career otherwise? It doesn’t stop there. Steve Jobs was left devastated after being abruptly removed from the company he started. What if Jobs just gave up? Could you imagine a world without Apple Inc.? I know I couldn’t.

Basically, where I’m heading with this column is to remind everyone that giving up shouldn’t be the answer.

Never give up on your dreams because you failed the first time. If you fail, work harder. Learn from your mistakes. There’s always time for a second chance.

Good luck to all approaching the middle of the semester.

— Taylor Freyer,