Homecoming theme connects students, alumni; creates memories

All this week students had the chance to attend events to boost school spirit, all related to this year’s Homecoming theme: “Let the Good Times Roll Along.” Homecoming Student Steering Committee members came together to foster Homecoming spirit with a theme that summed up what it means in a few words. “The process was time-consuming,” said co-committee chair Kristie Snouffer. “We wanted something that the alumni and the students now would really like.”

Snouffer said that after narrowing down the ideas to the top three, after two months of brain-storming, “Let the Good Times Roll Along” became the official theme of the 2013 homecoming.

“This is the best theme of my college career i think,” Snouffer said.” It represents everyone without any objections or offending anyone. It’s universal for BG students.” This past homecoming’s theme was “Be it, Live it, BG spirit.” This theme was chosen because it celebrates Falcons from the past to the present, said Mike Freyaldenhoven adviser of the Homecoming Student Steering Committee. This Homecoming is filled with events like the Greek Housing Project Ceremony, where many alumni will have the chance to say goodbye to the old Greek homes. Another main attraction is Saturday’s football game against UMass. Many alumni organizations will have tents outside of the game as well.

This year’s activities are not only to get the alumni but also the student body excited about Homecoming overall, especially freshmen. Freshmen Cassidy Lonigro said she was filled with school spirit after the third homecoming event: BG’s Got Talent.

“I have no idea what to expect about Homecoming because it is my first year,” Lonigro said. “I just know it will be fun and I’m excited to see what happens.”

Upperclassmen are also looking forward to the upcoming Homecoming events on campus.

“I like ‘Let the Good Times Roll Along,'” said junior Josh Noblet. “This theme overall seems better than the past years … I’m ready for the game on Saturday.”

This year’s Homecoming events are mostly being sponsored by the Homecoming Student Steering Committee with the help of Coca Cola and Dr. Pepper/Snapple. The Homecoming website also gives credit to the many students, families, faculty and alumni who have also “worked hard to make this year’s ‘Let the Good Times Roll Along’ Homecoming a blast.”

“Our theme, just like Homecoming, is all about connectedness,” Freyaldenhoven said.

“College is the time where people change and grow and it’s fluid. We wanted alumni to remember that connection and current students to feel it with the institution.”